How to obtain that tight high-string-tension sound...

Antikal

Hey guys (and possibly some girls too)

I wonder how on some recordings the acoustic guitars sound so tight and bright. I assume it has to do with (lots of) compression, but I haven't been able to find that 'ringing' sound you often hear in Boston's recordings, such as the well known "Amanda" or like Rick Springfield on "Free" and "April 24th" )both on his latest release "Alive".

I don't know exactly how to explain, but to me it sounds like the strings are much higher tensed than usual, but ofcourse in regular tuning. I tried heavier gauge strings, and this helps a bit, but I must be off track on the compressor settings.

(I use a Behringer Autocom.... let's not bitch about that for now.. )

Any of you have any ideas? I hope I have explained my problem / wish in an understandable manner.

C7 is correct, heavy strings are asking for lots of trouble on an acoustic.

I dont know exactly what youre talking about with "tight" sound. What are you recording your guitar with? A couple points...

The type of guitar you use will greatly affect the mic'd sound. Dreadnaughts are boomy, where an auditorium style will be more precise sounding (maybe "tighter"?).

The mic you use will also greatly vary the sound you are getting. Contrary to many people, I like a small diaphragm condensor blended with the active piezo I use.

H2H

Antikal said:
Hey guys (and possibly some girls too)

I don't know exactly how to explain, but to me it sounds like the strings are much higher tensed than usual, but ofcourse in regular tuning. I tried heavier gauge strings, and this helps a bit, but I must be off track on the compressor settings.
Could you be refering to a "hi-strung six" (also called "Nashville tuning", where the guitar is strung with only the high set of strings from a 12 string guitar? This moves the bottom 4 strings up an octave, making the G string the highest note of the open strings. It makes the sound far lighter and more delicate and really cuts thru the mix well.

off topic...

but I can't resist...

On Amanda, I'm 99% sure it's a twelve-string guitar, but I haven't listened to that album in years. Nashville tuning alo works great, but it can be tough on an acoustic. Also, if you want a Boston sound, put a shimmery chorus on everything.

Rick Springfield... I'll pretend you don't have a Rick Springfield album... and I'll pretend my band didn't once open a show with Jesse's Girl.

It's definitely a 12 string guitar. Also doubled for bigger effect. That's what you're hearing in Amanda.

Thanx all!

Hey guys...

Thanx for all your replies. I had never heard of nashville tuning, so that might be worth a try. I use medium gauge strings now, (ernie ball) and they sound great.

I have fiddled some more with the compression and have found that heavy duty compression (6:1 or 7:1) helps a lot.

I have put this topic in "The Rack" because I expected to get lots of effect / gear based replies.

By the way, I noticed some sarcasm at my mentioning the name of Rick Springfield. That kinda surprised me.

I can imagine some scoffing at his teeny idol years (not the most interesting music indeed) BUT (notice the capitals) you should definitely give his latest 2 albums a spin. Karma (latest studio album) and the recently released alive album will both blow you away...

Pity everyone immediately remembers Mr. Springfield from his General Hospital / Jessie's Girl days...

Anyway, that's not what this was all about. Boston definitely used a 12-string for Amanda, that much I can hear myself, but I think (I'll just answer my own question) that the trick is:

- fairly heavy compression
- subtle chorus
- change of guitar strings (both brand / gauge) I definitely wont use 'Vinci' strings again. The EB's sound a lot better.

Still, I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to brainstorm some with me.

BTW: I wrote a review for Rick Springfield's ALIVE album and lots of other music on my website: www.rocknet.nl

Make sure to check that out if you find the time

Rick Springfield???

He released stuff AFTER Jessie's Girl??????!?!?!?! REALLY???? Never noticed... ;)

(or was it him and Jack Wagner that started the ill-fated "Oldies Boy Band" in the late 80's/early 90's!??!?) :D :D

Bruce
:)

Yeah man!

Yeah, about 6 or 7 albums. Most noticeable:

TAO (was pretty much ahead of it's time, with extensive synth / sampler use to back in the old days standards.

Rock Of Life (Cool AOR album)

and said Karma and Alive albums.

:)

Back