How many channels of mic pres do you have?

ausrock said:
Specs,

Have you run the "Greens" yet, if so, what do you think of them?

For those who don't know, the "Green" pre's are a DIY pre based on the Amek Mozart preamps originally "cloned" by PeterC from South Africa.................bucket loads of info about them at "The Lab" at Prodigy Pro forums.

:cool:

No I haven't yet, just waiting on two more boards, then I will fill them in and finish a rack mount box for it. I am excited!

Specs

I just have a couple channels of standalone preamps, the DAV BG-1. Basically that's it, since my mixing boards don't have preamps! But since I only use the preamps to record piano, I only need two channels. Any channels beyond that I use whatever the studio has.

Ive got 8 Pre"s in my Mixer, which are pretty Crappy but I just use them for mixing the toms and Cymbols on my Drum kit.....

I also have a 2 channel Rack of V1 green pre"s that I DIY"d myself, I also have a Pair of DIY mic pre"s based on the INA217 mic preamp chip with the DC Ofset Controll loop and hot plugging protection and with an electronicly ballanced output.... My INA217 Pre"s are definately better sounding than my green pre"s but both get good work.....

I use the 217 pre"s for Micing By Dass drum and Snare and for micing guitar and bass cabs and I use my Greens for mostly vocals....

Cheers

I guess it's my turn. I have 12 crappy peavey mixer pres, 2 in an art tube dps or tps, 4 in my two delta 1010lt cards and soon to have 4 more in the Green Pre mentioned earlier. By the way I got my boards yesterday-now it's part ordering and fill in. Then more mikes, then, then.......... :rolleyes:

Four stand alone preamps, via Presonus MP20 and the ubiquitous (ooh, I love to use fancy words) DMP3. Whenever possible, I use these 4 channels first, then those built into other equipment (Firepod interface, cheap Behr mixer, Fostex recorder). But I rarely need more than four, if that many.

so far, i only have the 16 channels in my onyx, along with an art mpa gold. hopefully i'll be adding a GT brick to the equation pretty soon...then i'm not getting any more pres until i get a better room. after that, i think i'm gonna spring for an SCA kit w/ 2 channels each of the A12 and N72.

specsGa said:
So I guess my next question is do you find you get a better sound using all condensers over dynamics?
Thanks
Specs

Not really. There are many variables that determine whether to use a condenser or a dynamic. Two of which would be the source that you are recording, and the environment in which you are recording. Sometimes condensers are better and sometimes dynamics are better.

I have 1 pre-amp. It is a big pre-amp. Probably the biggest pre-amp out there. Big sound, big size, just plain big.

8 channels:
1 Universal Audio m610
1 Chameleon Labs 7602
1 Safe Sound P1
1 Joe Meek VC Brick
4 Onyx Pres on a 1220 Mixer
plus three empty slots in the custom built (not for me) API compatible rack I just bought...
I seldom use more than for channels at once-- generally one or two. Most times it's the UA or the CL for vocals, guitars, etc., because I use mostly condenser mics. If I use a Shure SM7B, Audix I5, or a ribbon mic, I'll use either the CL or the Safe Sound because they each give about 70db of gain.

I have 16 for the moment....

M-audio Octane.......................................8 channels
2 - ART Tube MPA's - 2 channels each.........4 channels
Mackie 1402 vlz ......................................4 channels

Im in the market for something more on the high end...not sure what Im gonna go for yet.....something in the $1000 - $1200 range.

I have 10 channels at the moment. 8 true systems precision 8....7 are working

and 2 dbx mini pre's. hopefully soon I will be down to just the precision 8 with all 8 channels working.

56 stand-alone preamps (six 8 channel units, plus four 2 channel pres). 8 pres in my console at home (DA-7) and 2 each in Korg MR-1000 and Sound Devices 744T (portable field recorders). So I guess that's 68 total, or 64 not counting the portable recorders and their built in preamps...

Seems like a lot, but we're a location recording company so we're typically doing 24-48 channel live gigs. In that context, we're barely above water sometimes.

16 MOTU 8Pre inputs
8 Presonus FIREPOD inputs
2 M-Audio FW1814 inputs
4 Peavey PV8 mixer pres
6 Mackie CR1604 pres (which I never use)
1 Groove Tubes "The Brick"
1 standalone phono preamplifier (for that "really freaking warm" sound)

Also two channels of tube preamp that I never got around to finishng, plus a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro DI box and enough op amps lying around that I could build a couple dozen channels of really uninspiring pres. :D

Back