How in the hell do you hook up a patchbay to a small format mixer?

bigwillz24

Probaly overkill but I wanna know...

Lets use a mixer with Direct Outs, Mic Inputs, Line inputs, and inserts

A soundcard with 12 inputs

an effects box

some channel strips

and a few compressers...

Keep your mic inputs with phantom out of the patchbay. Saves cooking outboard equipment when you plug the wrong cable into a jack. ;)

I was thinkin....

Direct Out ----> Patchbay ----> Tape, HD, whatever -----> Patchbay ----> Line In

then

Insert Send / Return ----> Patchbay ---> Dynamic Processors ---> Patchbay ---> ?

then

Aux Send / Return ----> Patchbay ---> Effects Prccesors ---> Patchbay ----> ?

then

Control room Out ----> Patchbay ----> ?

Question marks show where I'm getting lost in signal flow...

I'd bring the inserts from the mixer up to the patchbay and have them "normaled" through. If the board has direct outs, I'd bring them up to the patchbay, as well as the subgroup outs and mains outputs. The Aux sends and returns too. Out of all these, only inserts are normaled and all other connections are straight through (with possible exception of the mains out which could be normaled through to a mix down deck). I'd bring all the inputs and outputs of my soundcard/recording device to the patchbay with the possible exception of maybe a dedicated stereo monitor output from a soundcard. As far as compressors go, the line ins and outs are straight through but the side chain connection would have to be normaled. Effects would be straight through. I would only put the line ins and out of any mic pres in the patchbay and not the mic connections themselves. What I've done here for that is in the sound room side the wall box has 16 XLRs on it and those all go to a specific pre and are labeled so. If I want to use Mic pre "X", I plug the mic into it from the soundroom and at the patchbay in the control room I patch that mic pre's line out to where ever I want it to go.

bigwillz24 said:
Insert Send / Return ----> Patchbay ---> Dynamic Processors ---> Patchbay ---> ?

You patch the signal back to the "return" portion of the send/return cable on the patchbay and that brings it back to the channel strip on the mixer.

bigwillz24 said:
Aux Send / Return ----> Patchbay ---> Effects Prccesors ---> Patchbay ----> ?

Once again, you have the return portion of the aux send/return wired from the patchbay to the aux returns on the mixer.

bigwillz24 said:
Control room Out ----> Patchbay ----> ?

From the patchbay you would be connected to your monitors.

Farview said:
Very carefully

Smartass... :D

These terms are a little confusing when reffering to pathchbays at least for me....

Normalled...

Signal flows through both points and doesn't break ?

Half-Normalled...

Plug into to top doesn't break the signal plug into the bottom it does. I got that i think... :o

Open...

:confused:

Parallel...

:confused:

Back