How about that Alto hpa6 6 channel headphone amp?

undrgrnd studio

Does anyone have this unit? I was wondering if this would be better than using the Behringer unit thats similar. I need a headphone amp for two to three headphones max, but like the addittional channels in case I do whole band recordings later on. I was also looking at a used Semetrix 4 channel, but it onle has input level and out put level. No mix no independent inputs per channel, and its 15 years old. But its half the price of the $100 alto.

So what do you think?

You can probably search for a thread on this very topic... I remember reading it... but I think the Behringer was decided the most proven and the best value... (for budget monitoring), some reliablity issues reported by Alto owners... nice features though...

yeah, its been discussed a month ago or something,
conclusion was that most people seemed to prefer the Behringer...

i bought an OZ audoo QM6, 6 channel hpamp with fx returns on each channel + an extra mono insert per channel...
its like a mini mixing desc..
costed me around $170 i think

and i love it

Thanks guys. WHy would you need an insert on a HP amp? It seems the features I would want would be independent controls, and inputs/outputs, maybe a little mix control, a level meter would be nice, and a good strong amp that won't distort. I guess I'll take a nother look at the Behringer, I would love t spend more but I can't spend $170 on a HP amp, thats just out of my budget. I have to stick to good used or cheap new.

I'm using a Samson SPhones 4-ch. box. $130 at Sweetwater. I like the individual treb./bass/pan control on each channel.

i've got the beri ha4800 (or 4700, can't remember), and it's fine. it gets kinda hot, not all of the channels run at the same levels (some channels run hotter than others) and it's noisy when driven. not at all what i'd want to use for "critical listening"......but for providing cue mixes to a tracking band for under $100, it does an acceptable job.

oh, and i'm sure by "insert" he means "aux inputs", which allow you to create custom mixes for each channel (assuming you've got enough of the proper outs on your board). i run aux sends from my board to each of the aux inputs on the 4800 and i can give 4 different mixes, which is a real nice thing to be able to do for bands. :b

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
oh, and i'm sure by "insert" he means "aux inputs",

Inserts would certainly be a handy way to give your performers effects and keep the tracks dry... although this is also easily accomplished through the desk... not a common feature in a hp amp

yes, its AUX in i mean, but on my machine its labelled "inject",
so for example i listen to my mainmix that runs trough the HP amp, on all channels, AND i got the extra guitar tracks on inject 1, AND extra background vocals on inject 2, (....inject 3...4..)

this means that i can make an independant Mixdown for all the 6 headphone outputs,
might sound like something Over the edge, but i love it and constantly use it, its even addictive,
and it goes loud, it does have a bit of basic hiss, and when u turn up the levels u do get some noize, but its hardly noticable when there are drums pumping trhough the HP's

:)

Just visited the Applied Research & Technology (ART) Site and noticed that they are the exclusive US distibutors of Alto products...

The Oz Audio HM-6 is the best headphone amp I've ever used. It's built like a tank, and very quiet in terms of noise when connected with balanced lines. And it can get really loud, enough to cause damage. The inject inputs are great for letting people make their own mixes, and the effects loop is very useful, especially when tracking vocals.

Very pleased with the Alto HPA6!

I've used an Alto HPA6 in my studio since 2005 and have never been disappointed with it. In fact, I'm seriously considering the purchase of another unit for my mobile rig! True, it doesn't have all the features you'll find in more expensive units, but the features it does have put it heads and shoulders above anything else in it's price range. For starters, it's a 6 channel unit. Hard to find anything more than 4 channels in the $99 price range! Another cool feature is it allows for up to 3 headphones to monitor off each channel, for a total of 18! The aux insert on each channel is also handy. It provides a quick and easy way to introduce a separate or additional signal to a specific channel without effect on the others. True that could be accomplished by other methods, but when you need quick and easy, it's a feature that comes in quite handy also. So, for the price, I would most definitely choose the Alto HPA6 above anything else in it's class.

I've used an Alto HPA6 in my studio since 2005 and have never been disappointed with it.

Well thats good seeing the guys on this thread were talking about getting one in 2005, 8 year old thread rehashed. Please read the thread date before answering.

Alan.

Back