Hooking up Headphone Amp???

AumStudioBrian

I'm wondering how I should hook up my headphone amp to my mixer. I haven't tried yet, but if someone could explain how it works i'm sure it would save me a whole lotta trouble.

I have a Behringer HA4600 Powerplay Pro Headphone Amp, which has 4 headphone slots, and my console is a Behringer MX3282A Eurodesk, which is 24 channels with and 8 auxs. I don't even know where to begin to hook the thing up. I also have an 8 channel 1/4" balanced snake that I'll use to hook it up. Knowing this, can someone throw me some tips on how to hook it up?? I would greatly appreciate it--

(if necisarry to know, I run PC with Win XP, Cubase SX, and Echo Layla24 Soundcard)

Any stereo output (headphones, main mix, cntrl room, etc.) of the mixer to the inputs of the headphone amp. i do the same thing, except with a small 4 channel mixer.

Brandon

The HA4600 has 4 signals to amplify and 1 overal channel which can be mixed to the other signals.
What I've done is hook the overall mix to the stereo out of my desk and the 4 independend channels to 4 of my aux ports.
When looking at your desk, each channel will have an aux potmeter, that is where you mix in the right amount of volume to the right aux (headphone in this case)

Don't worry about the signal being mono, this is even better when having monitor on headphones while playing!
Oh, if the HA4600 doesn't deliver the right amount of volume (like I found out) insert a linemixer in between the signal, just for boosting (I know Behringer has got such a device, it works great!)

good luck

OK I've been thinking about getting one of these too, but I have a question first:

The Behringer uses separate balanced TRS inputs for left and right channels. I understand that if my input source is unbalanced, I can either get a couple of transformers to convert to balanced input to the Behr, or I can simply run unbalanced cables such that the return & ground connectors on the Behr are both routed to ground.

Assuming the above is true (please correct if not), I have two qs:

1) What will be the effect on sound quality of using the unbalanced connectors vs the transformer approach? Please note that the cable run will only be about 2'.

2) If I get transformers, should I use a balanced or unbalanced cable? Does it matter, or does the use of the transformer effectively 'unbalance' the cable?

The headphone signals are STEREO which is not the same as BALANCED. So, don't worry, the device is NOT balanced.
(balancing is a technique which will filter unwanted noise out of a mono signal, hence the 3 wires... a balanced microphone for example)

Which has also answered both your questions

- no transformer needed.
- just plug and play baby!
don't worry about the cable lenghts too much, it's headphone audio signal, nothing like your high-impendance guitar signals!

the behringer HA4600 is a great piece, but I mentioned before; maybe this will not BOOST your signal enought... that is if you got a drummer hitting his ass of while you're trying to focus on your guitar noise on your headphone (providing you're in the same room ofcourse).

-ro-

The Ha4600 is an awesome piece!

I have mine connected to the headphone jack of my mixer.

I use a Y-Cable: TRS to Dual Mono, (Yes, unbalanced!) straight into the 1/4" inputs on the back. These inputs will take balanced or unbalanced signals, no problems!

If I want to monitor in stereo, or mono, it's all there at my fingertips already!

I have the main mix as my headphone mix, and if a performer needs "more ME", I can then hook up an aux send to his aux in of the HA4600.

As far as not being loud enough, between the main in trim and the channel volume, and the headphone out of my board, I've never had ANY problems with volume.

Stop thinking about it and buy it already!!

maestro_dmc said:
The Ha4600 is an awesome piece!

I have mine connected to the headphone jack of my mixer.

I use a Y-Cable: TRS to Dual Mono, (Yes, unbalanced!) straight into the 1/4" inputs on the back. These inputs will take balanced or unbalanced signals, no problems!

If I want to monitor in stereo, or mono, it's all there at my fingertips already!

I have the main mix as my headphone mix, and if a performer needs "more ME", I can then hook up an aux send to his aux in of the HA4600.

As far as not being loud enough, between the main in trim and the channel volume, and the headphone out of my board, I've never had ANY problems with volume.

Same thing for me

Back