Hook up order of effects

fendermustang

Can anyone tell me what is the best order if any to hook up effects. Starting at the effects out with a gate, reverb,delay, compressor? I'm sure there must be some sort of proper order. If so please explain

Thanks to all

If you are hooking them up in a series pattern and not a parallel one, then the Dynamic processors -compressor etc..
should go first to create a smooth signal for the rest of the effects or -last to minimize level variations.

I then usualy go for the distortion or harmonizer etc...(the pitch tools or the harmonics effects)

Then EQ - to control the tone then delay ( also chorusing etc..)

Then at the end Reverb

In a guitar multi effects setup I would use the compressor first to protect the rest of you effects from strong signals
so that the signal doesnt overdrive their inputs.

I'm sure you can hear different opinions on this.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 06-17-2000).]

I don't like to believe in a "proper way" for creative stuff. There are common or traditional configurations, but the idea is to get the sound you're after.

If I stick 4 effects on something I usually do it because I know what the effects do and I'm using them to chase down the sound I'm after... whatever that may be. Usually, a gate would come early in the signal chain, definitely before reverb. But, remember that 80's drums sound made popular by Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight"? The concept there is running the reverb before a gate. The gate chops off the tail end of the reverb, causing it to have a rather unnatural sound.

You should try to think about the signal, and what happens to it at each stage. If I'm using a delay and reverb, I usually run the delay first. The signal hits the delay, resulting in the original sound getting mixed with some repeat. Then that "delay" mixture gets fed to the reverb. The other way around, the signal would get reverb added to it, and that whole mess would get passed to the delay. Does that make sense?

It can be different depending on what you're after. Do you want your reverb signal compressed, or the compressed signal reverbed? If you're not real familiar with one or more of 'em, try playing with 'em one at a time. That way, you get a better idea of exactly what each effect does.

I'm assuming that you mean for a studio rack, and I'm also assuming you mean for a semi-permanent installation. If so, I'd buy a patch bay and then you can run your effects in any order you please and then change it just by repatching a couple of cables. If you want more info on patch bays, do a search for "patchbay" on this site. I think we may have answered that question before, but I'm not sure. Good luck!

Back