Homemade and Low Run Custom Gear

4tracker

Someone on the forum introduced me to the nohype ribbon mics. NoHype Audio, Official Reseller for Placid Audio, Copperphone, Line Audio, TK Audio, MTR Audio, Extreme Isolation, TF PRo and Manufacturers of Quality Audio Equipment , and I just purchased two for a great price. I love how he does quality control/testing of all the parts and hand builds them. Makes me feel a little better about Chinese components that are impossible to avoid.

Can we link more small companies or individuals who are doing this type of work? I know Joly for the Oktava mics, and Hamptone has some amazing looking stuff that I can't afford. But any other suggestions?

I am specifically looking for an audio interface with low latency, nice looks, and at least 2xlrs. It's hard to find all 3 of those in mass produced gear, so I'm hoping someone out there is making this type of product. Probably doubtful since they'd have to be a computer programmer, too, to make the drivers, but I figure it can't hurt to inquire.

I suspect that you might love GroupDIY

Over there you can find projects which recreate classic audio products - stuff like Neve, API, UA. Plenty of other projects as well. There is a broad membership of electrical engineers, QBE (qualified by experience) amateur designers, and DIY enthusiasts of all levels of expertise.

A great small enterprise is Naiant Studio, home of the wonderful Naiant microphones.

DIY stuff is great. One of these days when I get the time and money I wanna build a hand wired Marshall Plexi. They have great kits and you can save a few grand doing it. One guy had a whole analog rack of stuff in his home studio he built all DIY. He built 1176 compressors, Neve 1073s. All looked great too.

Also, there are guys on Ebay that get an old console cheap, then make single and pairs of channel strips,(to sell) box them in oak with a power supply and they look great. My buddy built a channel strip (in the early 80s) at work by buying a single replacement channel from the tech dept at TRIDENT. We used that thing for years.

Back