Higher end preamp recommendation

Ironklad Audio said:
the a-designs pacifica is supposedly based on the quad eight pres...

but good luck getting one for $1,100

It looks like they make a single channel version that lists for $895 that fits the lunchbox. That might be ballpark. Anybody have experience with the A-Designs Pacifica?

nuemes said:
The DW Fearn looks great but is out of my price range for now. I figure the M5 will sell used for $1200 or less; that will set my budget.

A musician I know recorded with a QuadEight preamp and I love the sound he achieved with it. I'm not too keen on the idea of buying an older piece of gear though for upkeep reasons.

The API 512c with lunchbox comes right in around my budget. I have no idea what they sound like though.

Any ideas for a preamp in the sub $1200 range that sounds along the lines of the QuadEight preamps? Does the API 512c sound similar? Something else?

The A-Designs Pacifica was apparently designed based on the QuadEight. A used one would run @$1500 for 2 channels. The A-Designs P-1 is the lunch box version of the Pacifica (single channel). They are not exactly the same as they couldn't get the Pacifica's transformers in a lunch box slot, but very close apparently. So if you want a modern QuadEight like sound at your budget, a lunchbox and a P-1 might do it for you. There are several threads over in GS comparing the P-1 and the Pacifica and discussing the QuadEight heritage. I find the P-1 to be a bit smoother and not quite as mid-forward as the API. It's a really nice all purpose preamp. I could live quite happily if all I had were APIs or P-1s for pres though (well, maybe not happily, I am a gearslut afterall, but there really isn't anything you couldn't do well with either of those two pres). API consoles were pretty ubiquitous in the late 60s through the 80s and lots of hit records were recorded with those pres (through those consoles). The engineers that formed QuadEight were API alumni. See here for a brief history of API:

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/apihistory.html

Generally, I have heard the quad eight references in terms of EQ, and not so much preamp, so the Pacifica would make me wonder a bit. You should also be able to get quad eight channel strips for about $200 a piece and then pay someone another couple hundred to power and rack them:)

xstatic said:
Generally, I have heard the quad eight references in terms of EQ, and not so much preamp, so the Pacifica would make me wonder a bit. You should also be able to get quad eight channel strips for about $200 a piece and then pay someone another couple hundred to power and rack them:)
you wouldn't happen to know where and who would you :D?

xstatic said:
You should also be able to get quad eight channel strips for about $200 a piece and then pay someone another couple hundred to power and rack them:)

I'm not sure how easy it is to find those strips and get them racked and powered, but in the same vein, Auditronics and Ward Beck channel strips would also be good choices. The CBC was selling off a lot of WB stuff a few years back. Otho Wilburn still owes me for my Auditronics console. If I ever get it back (unlikely) I'll be happy to sell off most of the channel strips. I'd have to keep a couple for myself. :)

Cheers,

Otto

Back