RD423

The gear I currently have
yamaha hs8
digi 002 console
focusrite voicemaster platinum

the add ons that I am considering are the
warm audio tb12 tonebeast
warm audio wa76 limiting compressor
behringer ada8200 just because I have read the ada converters are better than that of my digi 002 and I can still use this with my 002 and go adat in

my questions are has anyone had experience with the warm audio gear???
question 2. should I go with the behringer ada8200 or save a little more money and get something else as far as my converters and if so what??? because I don't need the ada8200 for mic inputs because I just do vocalists and I only need one mic input but I am at the point to where I feel I need better converters because I know my digi 002 console is a dinosaur and it has been known that these converters are decent but not that good....

This is the chain that I would be running if I get all of these upgrades....mic into warm audio tb12 & then into my focusrite (the only thing I would have on is the gate, it helps cancel out any excess noise) from that into the warm audio wa76 and from there to the ada8200 that would be then connected to my digi 002 console via adat.....so any comments or recommendations on this as well would be appreciated

Last edited:
I've got the TB12 and I would say it's probably my favorite, even over my Neve 5017. It's got a few different options - switchable opamps and transformers - that can provide some great flavorings if you push it a little bit. (My preference is the 50% nickel transformer and the 917 opamp, FWIW.)

I don't have any experience with the wa76; if you've got comp/limiter plugs in your DAW why not do that ITB and save some coin? Either way, if you do end up going with the hardware unit, the TB12 has an insert in it that may be a better spot for the wa76. Not sure about that focusrite unit, my setup isn't that advanced...

As far as the ADA8200 goes, I've got no experience with that either. I have heard that it is decent for the money but that's completely unsubstantiated (from me) so hopefully someone else here can chime in on that unit with good advice.

I don't have any experience with the wa76; if you've got comp/limiter plugs in your DAW why not do that ITB and save some coin? Either way, if you do end up going with the hardware unit, the TB12 has an insert in it that may be a better spot for the wa76. .

I have some good ones ITB but having one coming in gives u the upfront sound coming right in...of course that's my opinion....

I run a digi 002 and HS8s as well. I am not in love with either one.

Anyway, about your plan: When you run an AD converter as a slave, it degrades the performance. You are trying to improve the conversion quality by buying something better than the 002. If you run the ada8200 as the master clock then your 002 converters will be reduced in quality. If you run the 002 as the master then the ada8200 will have reduced quality.

You only need 1 really high quality channel. If it were me I'm buying an Apogee Quartet - and that comes with waves gold bundle plug-ins that do what the warm audio outboards gear does. You are going to spend $1400. This would cost $800 list price (your ought to be able to get 10-12% off of that brand new, Just ask).

Or you could do an Apogee duet (2 channels/$600) but I think you have to have a Mac for that.

And if you don't like Apogee for whatever reason, consider an RME babyface. RME makes good stuff.

^^^From what I've read, these probably offer a significantly higher level of quality than an 8 channel $200 Behringer unit.

ibleedburgundy,

thx for the reply....I'm not trying to cut the 002 out of the chain because I love the board because of the hands on feel...so if I buy a new interface then I will have to buy me a new control surface...which is in the plans for the future but that's about a year or 2 out from now.... I was just trying to see if I get something like the ada8200 and use it as master if it is better than using the 002...but from what your saying is that it's not... I can't believe u don't like your hs8's....I loved my hs5's & I love my 8's even more...lol

ibleedburgundy,

thx for the reply....I'm not trying to cut the 002 out of the chain because I love the board because of the hands on feel...so if I buy a new interface then I will have to buy me a new control surface...which is in the plans for the future but that's about a year or 2 out from now.... I was just trying to see if I get something like the ada8200 and use it as master if it is better than using the 002...but from what your saying is that it's not... I can't believe u don't like your hs8's....I loved my hs5's & I love my 8's even more...lol

I agree with burgundy, unlikely it's significantly better than the 002, despite being newer it is a low end unit (relatively speaking of course, it works well for a lot of people)...

The other options are probably better unless having an extra 8 inputs is essential.

Ah, I was thinking you had the 002 rack, not the control surface. I kinda wish I had the control surface but I don't really need it.

Is the control surface worth reducing quality of sound over? Seems like that's kinda what you're doing.

Is the control surface worth reducing quality of sound over? Seems like that's kinda what you're doing.

Well I am planning on upgrading that within the next year or 2 because I want a board with 24 faders...so I don't want to buy one now and then in a year or 2 get a bigger one...I get a great sound now with what I have, It's just that I know with better converters I can get an even better one....lol

my questions are has anyone had experience with the warm audio gear???
total junk. Don't waste your money. Plugins sound better than that 1176 clone. You gain nothing from that compressor. I sent mine back to the dealer.
question 2. should I go with the behringer ada8200 or save a little more money and get something else as far as my converters and if so what???
Your converter is the least noticeable part of your signal chain, preamps probably second. Back burner until you have good monitors, room treatment and mics.

Back