Help with Blown Tweeter

takk

I have a set of Tonnoy Proto-J reference monitors and I think the tweeter on one is blown (not sure if that's the right word). When I play something loud I hear a crackling noise from the Left speaker. And if I pan to the right I don't hear the crackling. It is occasional and not too prominent but it is noticeable. So I have two questions:

1. Is it a blown speaker, and what can I do to repair/replace it?

2. How could that have happened and if I do replace the speakers what things should I be careful of so id does not happen again? Maybe I plugged in some mics with the speakers turned up? Maybe monitoring a mic'd guitar cab too loud? Studio monitors are supposed to be able to take abuse right?

Thanks for any help!

I'd swap your left and right speaker before replacing the tweeter... that's only one possible source of crackling at high volume on that channel... If the problem stays on the same channel, then you know it's not the speaker cab

yep new tweeter time... iused to buy those in bulk from parts express because my old partner would blow them all the time... those are vifa tweets cant remember the #...

I'd swap your left and right speaker before replacing the tweeter... that's only one possible source of crackling at high volume on that channel... If the problem stays on the same channel, then you know it's not the speaker cab

could also swap the tweeters just to make sure.

Damn, how do you guys keep blowing speakers? This is the second or third "blown speaker" thread I've seen this month. I've been listening to loud music all my life and I can't recall ever blowing a speaker.

Maybe I don't listen loud enough. Psshsh, now I feel left out, inadequate, almost like a loser. I wanna blow something. :D

Damn, how do you guys keep blowing speakers? This is the second or third "blown speaker" thread I've seen this month. I've been listening to loud music all my life and I can't recall ever blowing a speaker.

Maybe I don't listen loud enough. Psshsh, now I feel left out, inadequate, almost like a loser. I wanna blow something. :D
I have a tweeter blown in my ProtoJ too....and Tannoy wanted an arm and a leg for it.....

I had a crackling sound in on of my speakers that seemed pretty random. At first I though I had blown a tweeter then I swapped speakers and it still happened. So I was convinced it was my amp........... turned out to be a bad channel on my mixer.

I had a crackling sound in on of my speakers that seemed pretty random. At first I though I had blown a tweeter then I swapped speakers and it still happened. So I was convinced it was my amp........... turned out to be a bad channel on my mixer.
any electrical connection can build up slight corrosion from oxzidation or electrolisis, and support a low current signal, but start to break down when power is increased... this is fairly common in pots, or plug/jack connections... (where a surface to surface contact is utilized) but can also occur at faulty solder joints... Test equipment before you replace it...

And yeah... it probably is a blown tweeter

:eek:

A speaker,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Right???

Sorry, couldn't help it.:o

F.S.
Oh yeah, I guess that didn't come out right. Ah, let me re-phrase that.

I wanna blow something UP!!! I wanna break something! I wanna see sparks and flames. (in my best Beavis voice,) Ah hu, ah yeah, cool, fire!

(There, does that sound less gay?) :D

any electrical connection can build up slight corrosion from oxzidation or electrolisis, and support a low current signal, but start to break down when power is increased... this is fairly common in pots, or plug/jack connections... (where a surface to surface contact is utilized) but can also occur at faulty solder joints... Test equipment before you replace it...

And yeah... it probably is a blown tweeter

I never even figured out what it was until the channel went out completely, it was so random. I gave it a good once over but it was totally hosed. It was a behringer board so not much of a loss there really.:D

Back