Heads Up: Warm Audio WA12 preamp

PRHunt

I void warranties
This relatively new pre-amp could be a game-changer in the "affordable" end of the pro-audio market. Read all about it at Warm Audio.

It is designed in the US (but manufactured, I believe, in China), based around API 312 topology, and features Cinemag transformers at input and output. There are audio samples, but unless you also heard the original performance, you have no real basis for comparison.

The price comes in at around the $US450 mark for single channel. Yes, the WA12 is more pricey than a GAP Pre73, but for one thing, you are getting Cinemags instead of generic Chinese transformers.

I have not used, or even seen, a WA12 myself. Do your own research, draw your own conclusions. My work here is done.

Paul

Found this in a review...........

Pros:

Loads of gain with low noise (perfect for ribbon mics)
Tone switch gives a whole new flavor
Great value for what it costs
Delivers on it’s name sake
Power compatible with the Golden Age Projects PS-AC4
TONE!!!

Cons:

No band pass filter
Couldn’t seem to attenuate enough for active instruments
I find wall warts annoying

Here is an other review;

Pros and cons

Pros: I consider the following:

Very low level noise
Clean sound, well detailed, neutral but at same time with body and muscle.
Two balanced outputs simultaneously, good idea to get clean and processed recording signal.
TONE button offers two preamps on same box, Modifies sound is fantastic way (for me) and get a sound like a more expensive preamp unit.
Solid and robust construction
Best value price on this range

Cons:

- I miss a high pass filter. Maybe could increase price, but they are very useful on all situations.
- When we push TONE button volume is increased, this point don’t let use a fast A/B test when we are looking for gain levels.
- An Output level control could be fine. I reach limit levels, when you are in high levels units starts to distortion but in sweet level, without an output level control there is no chance to play this option.
- Minimum gain is 29dB. From my point of view too high.
- Also a signal levelindicator (leds or vumeter), helps in more cases

I think the WA12 will garner a lot of interest over time. An output control could be easily added using the output attenuator kit from Classic API.

Given that the thing is built with through-hole components, the potential for modification is fairly high. I think that the sound will outweigh a number of cons.

Paul

Yes with out a doubt Paul. This unit looks to be the future king of high-end mid priced preamps.
Modification does look like it would be fun as well.

I'd be interested to find out how the tone of the WARM AUDIO WA12 compares to the UA Solo 610. Two different types of pre I know but I'm interested to know which offers the thickest and fattest tone?
My UA Solo610 is my goto for bass and I'd be interested to know how the WA12 compares on bass on vocals!

Would be great to get your listening impressions, and maybe a sample if you are able or so inclined.

Paul

Back