Headphone mix with fx, main mix dry - Mackie 1202 VLZ4

bigblip

Hello all,

I have just bought a Mackie 1202VLZ4 and I love the fact that it has inserts on all channels as well as two aux sends (although at this time I only use one). It's a step up from the Behringer I've used up to now. I have an Alesis 3632 compressor in dual mono mode hanging off the inserts on Channels 1 and 2. Channel 1 is permanently set up for vocals (or for recording acoustic instruments) and channel 2 is permanently set up for electro/acoustic guitar or bass through a DI box. I'm not using the other channels at this time. At the moment I am routing the mains out to two channels on a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

What I would like to do is to route an ancient Alesis MidiVerb 4 through Aux 1 to allow for the vocalist/player to hear some reverb, delay etc in the headphones but NOT for it to go to the mains, so I can record a dry signal. I would much prefer to add reverb, delay, modulation, etc in the DAW using plugins that are far superior to the MidiVerb. I only have two main outputs on my audio interface but I have RCA outs so I can return the DAW mix to the desk via the Mackie's tape section. I don't mind the compression being part of the signal that goes into the DAW. I am only using very light compression just to smooth things out a bit and I use the gate section to cut some of the noise in the room (computer fans etc). I would prefer to keep the compressor on the inserts and the MidiVerb on the aux so I have the fx available for all channels.

I am not really familiar with how mixers should be properly set up, beyond what I have already done, so I don't know how to go about this (or even if it's possible). Is there some kind soul who can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance of your patient advice :)

I believe Control Room mix = Headphone mix, so:

Record to computer from the Main Out.

Playback from computer into a stereo channel, assigned to Alt 3-4.

Aux 1 (or 2 as long as it's Post-fader) to reverb input.

Reverb output to stereo channel, assigned to Alt 3-4.

Press Control Room Source buttons Alt 3-4 and Main Mix.

Do NOT press Assign to Main Mix button.

Many thanks! I think I understand this. I'll need to go through it step by step to get it straight in my head. It's very late here so I may just sleep on it and try it out in the morning. Thanks again for taking the time. Really appreciate it.

With no sub busses the only way I can think of would be to use the aux return to C/R headphones and not the main mix and have the talents phones plugged into the boards headphone out. Or you can pick up a headphone amp with balanced inputs(theyre pretty inexpensive) and patch that from the mackie

With no sub busses the only way I can think of would be to use the aux return to C/R headphones and not the main mix and have the talents phones plugged into the boards headphone out. Or you can pick up a headphone amp with balanced inputs(theyre pretty inexpensive) and patch that from the mackie

Alt 3-4 functions like a subgroup mix bus. When you mute a channel it actually gets rerouted to the Alt 3-4 bus.

Thanks Gtoboy and bouldersoundguy. The Alt 3-4 submix works great (after I re-read your instructions for a fourth time and connected the reverb output to a stereo channel rather than the stereo returns - duh!).

One follow on question - where should I monitor from using reference monitors? I only have two main outputs on the 2i4 (now sending to a stereo channel assigned to Alt 3-4 on the Mackie) and if I use the additional mains out on the back of the Mackie (the XLRs) then the channel being recorded is going to be heard over the monitors. Do I need to replace the 2i4 with an interface with more outputs?

Many thanks for the guidance and for not making me feel as dumb as I probably am :-)

The headphones and monitors have to share the Control Room mix. While tracking with a mic, switch off the monitors. If you're recording another person you'll need more headphones and perhaps a headphone amp.

You might be able to come up with an alternative setup by using the interface's input monitoring to route the live inputs to the interface's output, and so back to the monitoring path on the mixer.

Furthermore, you might try using the interface with no mixer at all. The Focusrite website suggests the 2i4 is capable of adding effects to live inputs on its own, depending on the computer and software. I could explain a generic way to use reverb in your DAW in real time with a live input, but I bet Focusrite have a tutorial somewhere.

Thanks again. Yes, that what I thought. I do already have a headphone amp and a selection of headphones. I think this is a task for a Mackie Big Knob. I can record to the DAW from the XLR mains on the back and route the two 1/4 inch mains through the Big Knob to the monitors. That way I can mute the monitors without affecting the mains mix to the DAW. If you see any major hurdle with this (other than it being something else I have to buy!) I'd welcome a holler. Otherwise I'll leave you in peace, again with my thanks for your help.

Or, send the vocalist signal to the 'verb from an AUX send then just hang a headphone amp on its output*.
The Behringer HA400 is pretty good for the money. Do you still have the old Berry mixer? If so use that to create a whole, separate monitor mix for the singist.

*Might need a bit of cable fettling? Balanced, stereo, both ears, one? That sort of thing.

Dave.

Cheers Dave. Actually, that was exactly what I was doing before - I used the Behringer as a separate monitor mix hanging off a Soundcraft EFX12. Trouble is, I ran out of room! I now only use the EFX for live and I bought the smaller 1202 for the studio. I have it all sorted now, though, with the Mackie Big Knob doing exactly the job I want it to do (i.e. mute the signal from the mains out to the monitors without me having to clamber over my desk!). I have a HA400 as well as the Ammoon version (which is identical in all but finish - no question they are made by the same manufacturer). Great value. Although I only have three pairs of headphones . . .

Back