headphone amp help

liv_rong

Knows very little
i had another thread that i asked some questions in and some confussion came up about how my headphone amp is hooked up. i was told to run it out of aux sends on my interface:

You run an aux from your interface to your headphone amp. The mixer has nothing to do with it. The headphone out on the mixer (generally) is the same as the CR out.

i curently only record one person at a time, and if there are more than one i still have everything hooked up the same. my interface cr/out to a monitor control selection device, then two 1/4" plugs form that to a samson c-que8 headphone amp.

why is this wrong? i understand if i want more of an individual track i can run an aux of that specific track to the insert on the hadphone amp, but i dont understand the aux send for the entire mix. does this make sense what i am saying?

can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

current configuration:
alesis multimix 16 firewire cr/out to main mix in on samsom c-control, then c-control 2-track out to samson c-que8 headphone amp. then headphones on your head to your ears.

i had another thread that i asked some questions in and some confussion came up about how my headphone amp is hooked up. i was told to run it out of aux sends on my interface:

i curently only record one person at a time, and if there are more than one i still have everything hooked up the same. my interface cr/out to a monitor control selection device, then two 1/4" plugs form that to a samson c-que8 headphone amp.

why is this wrong? i understand if i want more of an individual track i can run an aux of that specific track to the insert on the hadphone amp, but i dont understand the aux send for the entire mix. does this make sense what i am saying?

current configuration:
alesis multimix 16 firewire cr/out to main mix in on samsom c-control, then c-control 2-track out to samson c-que8 headphone amp. then headphones on your head to your ears.

I just use a stereo out of the mixer into the headphone distributer, using the mixer to get a headphone mix, and perhaps use the mixer's direct outs (or a coupla aux sends or so) to send 'more me' signal to the channels that may need them on the headphone distributer.

current configuration:

Wrong is a strong word :)

The reason to use auxilliary sends instead of the c/r stereo jack is two-fold.

1. In a typical studio setup you will have a control room isolated from the musician's room (tracking room). In this way, you would not want to be controlling the send level to the headphone amp with your c/r volume, as your monitors would be up and down up and down with every whim of the "talent". quite annoying.

2. using aux sends allows you to effectively create two distinct mixes: one for the control room (you) and one for whom you're tracking ("talent"). Instead of having the talent say "can you bring my guitar up, and then you are forced to bring up the channel fader, thereby changing your tracking mix, you simply raise the aux send knob on the guitar channel.

as your setup get's larger and more complex, you will like the option of creating quite a few different mixes for the cue(headphone) sends. You might create a drum heavy mix for the bassist, a guitar/bass heavy mix for the drummer, and an altogether different mix for the guiro player....

that's about it

thanks for the answers guys!

im going to keep it on the control room mix for now, as i have never had any problems by having to adjust volume from my mixer louder just so the headphone amp will be louder. and i have always just sent an aux to the amp if i need more of something....so i guess im ok where it is.

i actually never even touch the volume for the control room on the mixer at all, i adjust it with the monitor select only, same with the headphone amp, the main volume is almost always in the same spot and each track just gets adjusted.

i can see in the future though if i were recording a full band that it wouldnt be loud enough, but for what im doing, its good.

ok bye

there are a few ways to skin this cat.

I have a RME multiface II. I use a stereo pair of D/A outs to send to the distributor. I let the RME Control Panel adjust levels of pre recorded tracks and live tracks directing them to the pair of D/A outs which go to the distro.l

Back