Which has better preamps?

Those product's main features are really different. Since the reality is that one inexpensive mic pre is about the same as any other, I'd use other features to make a decision between these two.

yeah, i know that their main features are way different and I understand that these are not necessarily comparable products.

My question still stands though:

Which has better preamps (for recording in ProTools)?

And yes, I do realize that an Onyx with firewire cannot interface with ProTools. I swear I know what I'm doing, at least in this respect.

And if the above question is really that off-base, then here is my backup question:

Are the preamps on the Digi 003 (circle one)...

Crap / Mostly Crap / OK / Better than Average / Great

Thanks

i'm guessing not too many people have a 003, but i'm also guessing the preamps are the same as the 002. this one just has some extra features.

i've used 002 preamps, and not been impressed. my 400f's are quite clear though.

The 002's pres are different from the 003's so...go listen to them.

Shurely there is a GC or something close to A/B them.

joe mama said:
And yes, I do realize that an Onyx with firewire cannot interface with ProTools. I swear I know what I'm doing, at least in this respect.

Really?

I always assumed that since the 002(and now the 003) have 2 firewire in's/outs, that you could use external firewire based a/d's and d/a's with them.

does anyone know for sure if you can or can't use the extra firewire in/out for an external firewire a/d convertor?

Ironklad Audio said:
i *think* the extra firewire ports are for daisy-chaining 002/003's together rather than hooking up external units

you CAN'T daisychain 002s or 003s... its Digidesigns way of making you upgrade to an HD rig. or else a lot of people would probably buy a few 002s for cheaper than an HD rig and have just as many inputs

Foo-bu said:
you CAN'T daisychain 002s or 003s... its Digidesigns way of making you upgrade to an HD rig. or else a lot of people would probably buy a few 002s for cheaper than an HD rig and have just as many inputs

oh hey consumer...you can afford $2000 of our equipment...why not make it $10,000 instead??

joe mama said:
Which has the better preamps?

Mackie Onyx Mixers

or

Digidesign 003 interface?

And why?

You do realise that at this point there are probably only a handful of people on the planet that have heard and used both extensively enough to give an accurate opinion. If I had to guess though, I'd say the end result would probably be pretty close to the same either way.

Foo-bu said:

what's the second firewire in/out for then?

perhaps other firewire hardware.

like if you want to transfer files off of your ext hard drive that uses firewire, or some other device.

easy access, and you don't have to unplug the 003 and plug another cable in..yada yada.

the 003 would probably be the most stationary firewire device, so they assume you want it always plugged in

Back