Hardware: Separate or combined?

Zuu

Hi, Sometimes there are multiple FX or functions in one box for example: audio interface + preamp, audio interface + AD/DA converters, preamps + compressors, preamps + EQ and like that

Could you tell me when it is better to buy separate box and when combined? and if then why(pros/cons)?

- thanks in advance -

Pros - You get what you want. At least some of the time the whole point to "all in one" units is using the cheapest possible components to make the cheapest possible box.

Even using a $500 mark -- Think of how ridiculously cheap the components have to be to make a $500 box with a preamp, compressor, EQ, converter (etc.) when any one of those units (a preamp, a compressor, an EQ, a DA converter, an AD converter) at $500 each is still in the "budget friendly" category.

Cons - No doubt - You're going to spend more.

That all said -- If you're recording, you won't have much need for outboard EQ and compression typically anyway... A solid preamp, a solid converter set and you're in much better shape.

So you think at recording stage hardware preamp and audio intrface + converter would be enough? compresor, EQ and other FX as plugins when mixing/mstering?

I have to admit that I rarely track anymore (and when I do it's usually classical) -- But even 'back in the day' I always recorded as dry as possible. An occasional comp on a vocal or something, sure - But usually for the flavor of the unit and because there were very few to choose from during mixdown (wasn't mixing through a DAW where there are basically unlimited options at any time).

These days? No question -- As little circuitry from the source to the media as possible.

I'm still tracking to 2" tape (before dumping everything into the DAW)...and I have all kinds of outboard gear, and I rarely use anything other than mic + preamp when tracking.
At most, I may use a comp on some sources, going after the preamp...but that's usually more for flavor rather than necessity, and it's a conscious commitment up front, rather than saving it all for the DAW.

I do have a specific vocal chain that involves using a very light setting on a specific hardware limiter with a specific preamp. The combination just sounds so good, that it's kinda becoming a regular thing....but again, it's not needed.
If I skipped the limiter, I could work without it well enough.

Back