Handmade Studio Racks?

I have a couple 20 space racks made by that guy. He does good work and the racks look nice. He'll make custom sizes if you need that.

If you want REALLY cheap - this is what I did:

Bought one plank of wood about a foot wide, and cut 2 pieces from it - each about a foot high. (price depending on the type of wood - but I didn't spend more than $15).

I screwed 6u rack rails onto the edge of each of the pieces. ($7.99 - http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-pre-cut-rack-rails-6-space-10-1-2_W0QQitemZ150122706981QQcmdZViewItem)

I had some screws lying around - but even if you needed to buy them ($3.95 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Raxxess-Phillips-Head-Rack-Screws-with-Washers?sku=541915)

...Then I screwed all my gear into the rails.

The top of my rack is actually a piece of gear - and it looks just fine (it's just black). I'm going to spray paint both wood sides of my "rack" black here in the next couple of days.

I've attaches a badly drawn mspaint representation of the concept. :)

Attachments

• rack.gif
    rack.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 164
i bought some 2 x 8 raw lumber and and made 2 sides then put a little tabletop at the top and a base with feet on the bottom. i put some ebony stain on it and voila! something i like and perfect for my needs. i just screwed the gear into the wood and made little shelves out of fiberboard for stuff without rack ears.

Here's another manufacturer, Daedalus Music:

Daedalus Studio Racks

I have one of the smaller ones for my gigging rig. You can get them in just about any size or configuration. More spendy though than the earlier link.

not too mysterious.. if its 19"s wide and you like it then buy it.

mod, do I get a demerit for that comment too?

Bwahahahahaha - the "demerit" you speak of is called neg rep, and it's given to you by other users on the bbs.......

As if anyone monitors this looney bin :D

not too mysterious.. if its 19"s wide and you like it then buy it.

mod, do I get a demerit for that comment too?

If your rack has a interior dimension of only 19" you may not be very happy with
it especially if you plan on recessing the rails. You actually need something like 19 1/8" or the mounting ears on your equipment will not fit inside the interior of the box and you will be forced to mount everthing flush with the front of the rack.

I was looking at the racks that this place makes, and they are very reasonably priced and look amazing.. I was just wondering if anyone has hands on experience with these...
http://www.handmadestudioracks.com/
I do not but recently built my own solid oak 24 space rack (on wheels).
There is a photo of the top section on the homepage of my website.
The bottom 12 spaces are straight up and down ie perpendicular to the floor while the top 12 spaces tilt back about 30 or so degrees.
I used 2 20?-inch wide X 48 inch tall panels of red oak for the sides, same for cross members and a 3/4 inch thick piece of pine plywood for the base.

Back