Guitar amp emulators

pntsmillion

Does anyone use outboard guitar amp simulators to record? I love the korg px4, but I want something with better sound quality.

Most people will use the Line 6 Pod.
Others are the Behringer V-Amp, Johnson S-Station, Carvin Tone Navagtor, and Roland/Boss have several.
There are more that I cannot think of right now.

I use the J-Station on my electric violin. As a classical player primarily, it was very cool at first, but now I am learning that it is not a substitute for a good amp.

they just dont cut it im sorry to say.

none of em.

pod xt pro came closest though. ive used it, i've owned zoom effects things, ive owned digitech 2120 with a marshall el34 50/50 power amp, i've used the 2120 with a mesa 2:50, the pod xt live with a mesa 2:20, thru marshall and mesa cabs, to no avail.

the only sound that i didnt complain too much about was using the pod xt pro as a DI for guitar.

i've sold all my guitar effects gear and bought a fender blues deluxe, an Audix i5 and a 57, and i'm content :)

If you play with the pod a little bit, you can get a great sound out of it. Here is a taste of something I am working on. All the guitars are recorded direct with a Pod XT pro.

No cabinets, no mics and no EQ or compression. Just the pod directly into the the computer through the analog outputs. (mono out)

That sounds real good Farview, probably would have a hard time knowing it was direct if you hadn't said so.

That's a scratch mix, we haven't laid the real bass line down yet. There really isn't any EQ on anything but the vocals

i've used several digitech/zoom/boss/bbs FX pedal boards,
some were real nice for effects, but i never got impressed with the distortion or Real sounds

then i once played on a Tech21 XXL, distortion stomp box, real fkn nice sound, agressive,
i bought me a Tech21 sansamp PSA-1 and wow i'm impressed, gives A LOT of different sounds, great control over distortion, lots of amp simulations,
nothing sounds like a mic infront of a marshall cabinet but i'm really pleased with the sounds!

i've used it on vocals, big fun, guitars are great, mostly for distortion,
and now our bassist jams with it every week, i find it the best amp sim or DI thing for gut/bass

they got a new version out and it even exists as a software plugin

As far as a non-modeling analog preamp, +1 on the Tech21 PSA-1...for distorted gits, it works best mic'd thru an amp. For clean and slightly dirty tones, going direct also works very well. I also use it all the time for bass tracks...it kicks major ass in this area.

I used a POD 2.0 and a J Station for a very long time and thought I got very convincing sounds (with no worries about being too loud and certainly much easier than mic'ing an amp).

While I listened to all the "purists" complain that nothing was better than a tube amp, etc. etc. - I was satisfied with the tones I was getting. I had a couple low watt solid state amps - but I was not convinced the sound was "better than my Pod or J Station.

I should qualify that guitar was not my main axe and candidly, I had not really mastered getting great guitar tone (does anyone every real find that particular pot o' gold???) and the POD/J-Station allowed my to dial in decent tone rather quickly.

As my guitar playing improved I decided I could justify buying a tube amp (and eventually a couple of tube amps) and the more I used them (and figured out the best way to get tone) the less I used simulation.

While I still use amp simulation for many parts (and certainly for intitial demos, etc - just for the ability to put down track quick & easy) I now perfer the sound of a tube amp. While I'm not yet a purist - I am starting to develop the initial signs of a tube snob :D

However, the POD series (in particular the POD XT) are very decent simulators and I was rather impressed with the Vox Tone Lab (which actually prompted me to recently purchase a Vox modeling amp).

You can get some pretty good sounds out of emulators, especially if you spend some time working with one and make your own custom sounds. Most factory presets are pretty much useless.

I have 3 tube amps, and I still use the V-AMP Pro for some stuff. It is really pretty good and high gain stuff.

Here is a track I recorded a couple of weeks ago. The guitars are all V-AMP Pro, recorded direct. On the original post, lots of people commented on how they liked the guitar tone, if you care to search the MP3 clinic.

Worth of the Well

When you have pros like Farview getting good tones out of amp simulators and using them in recordings, maybe it is a sign you shouldn't hate them just for the sake of hating them.

iits basicly the same as the pod but it needs a computer is the toneport ive got good results with it with the toneport you also get some mic pre sims but they really arent impressive. from my experience you can use a really great amp with a ok guitar and it will still sound great but if you use an ok guitar with a di it will just sound ok so one of the best ways to get a good sound out of something like a pod is to make sure you have a really good guitar... and a monster rock cable(love those things)

Back