Ground Lift

Yasoo

I have a gound lift button on my Trace Elliot bass head. It's one of those little square buttons that has 2 heights. The picture next to it shows the button position for ground lift. The thing is, it's not obvious to me (because there isn't another picture showing the opposite) if it's showing up or down. :) I think it means if the button is up, the ground if lifted. Is there a button position that is more prevalent in music gear than another? I mean, does it seem more common to have the up position mean ground lift, or press the button for ground lift? I don't have another piece of gear to compare it to.

I suspect the "in" position means the ground is lifted. You should be able to check this with an ohmeter. With the amp turned off but plugged in, connect one end of the meter to a metal portion of your amp chassis, connect the other end to earth ground. If it's an open circuit, the ground is lifted.

Be aware that when the ground is lifted the amp chassis is floating electrically. That means there is a possibility that it could have a potential higher than ground and potentially shock you.

I know that ground lift switches are often the only way to get rid of annoying noises on stage, but be careful when using it.

Last edited:
Back