grace m101 & rnc vs. rnp & rnc vs. safe sound p1

statixx

i wana get a new pre/comp for hip hop vocal tracking somthing transparent....grace 101 is the cleanest pre in the low price range but maybe too clean for rap vox? i dont kno?!?.....i already have a la 610 as a colored pre....but....it doesnt stack well.....so i need somthing solid state that sounds good but not expensive........safe sound p1, grace 101, or rnp?
if i got the 101 or the rnp then i would get the rnc too.....mics im using are sm7b and sp b1......i know a bunch a people are gonna say.....subjective this ...subjective that.....i wana know wat YOUR opinion is....wat would you do if you were in my situation?

listen to my vox at www.myspace.com/statixxthamc to get a better idea wat i sound like and wat might work best for me.

any help is much appriciated

imho you don't want a super clean pre for vocals, whether rap or anything basically other than classical. maybe it's just me. I don't mean distorted necessarily, but just complimentary.

the grace and the rnp are two of the cleanest pres in existence at any price, the grace more so than the rnp. both are excellent. imho both are very boring and I have to get production vibe elsewhere in the chain if those pres were used during tracking.

there are so many alternatives that are better, the list is huge and I don't know where to start right now. but I'd steer clear of "pristine" pres like those two for rap vocals imho. if you have those pres you'd better have some damn expensive compressors to use in the vocal chain LoL

...I record strictly vocal tracks in my home studio, and the Safe Sound P1 has found a permanent place in my rack...great front-end for vocal tracking, plus you can run any of your other mic pres thru it to take advantage of the great expander/compressor/limiter components...absolutely excellent piece of gear, designed by former Neve/Calrec engineer and hand assembled in Great Britain...high end quality at prosumer prices...search on Gearslutz for more positive feedback...;)

...combine with a Shure SM7 for great Hiphop/R&B vocal tracks!...

Back