Grace 101

antispatula

I currently have an RNP which I love.
But it's becoming clear to me that I don't really need 2 channels for the things I am doing. I have heard the Grace 101 is ultra-realistic and that it is pretty much the most transparent pre in the universe, and I think that may be exactly what I am looking for. I'm not actively looking for coloration, I do acoustic guitar and vocals for the basis of all my songs, often mixed with electric guitar, bass and drums etc, but I wouldn't consider myself wanting a dirty or vintage rock sound. If anything I would fall under organic pop-rock, and I yearn (did I just use the word "yearn?") for clarity and detailed vocals; I'm always seeming to boost a few db's in the high's to try and achieve that, but that in turn sometimes makes them sound thin.

Anyone have any hands-on expirience with the Grace 101? Would it be a step up from the RNP, or do you think the Grace 101 would be good for what I'm looking for?

I demo'd the grace 101 before i bought the RNP. i thought it sounded great, but i bought the RNP because i considered situations where i might want to record an acoustic guitar with 2 mics or even an amped guitar with a close mic and a distant mic.

I have been using a pair of Grace 101's for a few years now, and have also had them modded to work with ribbon mics. They are very clean. Definitely a Step up from the Event EMP-1 I had been using.

I currently have an RNP which I love.
But it's becoming clear to me that I don't really need 2 channels for the things I am doing. I have heard the Grace 101 is ultra-realistic and that it is pretty much the most transparent pre in the universe, and I think that may be exactly what I am looking for. I'm not actively looking for coloration, I do acoustic guitar and vocals for the basis of all my songs, often mixed with electric guitar, bass and drums etc, but I wouldn't consider myself wanting a dirty or vintage rock sound. If anything I would fall under organic pop-rock, and I yearn (did I just use the word "yearn?") for clarity and detailed vocals; I'm always seeming to boost a few db's in the high's to try and achieve that, but that in turn sometimes makes them sound thin.

Anyone have any hands-on expirience with the Grace 101? Would it be a step up from the RNP, or do you think the Grace 101 would be good for what I'm looking for?

I use it for folks who want to sing and play acoustic guitar at the same time. I pair it with either a Oktava 319 or AT 4047 and place the mic 9-12" away from the singers mouth. Clean and detailed is a good description of what you get.

Back