grace 101

MadHatterTCM

Eternally Striving
I've been considering purchase this. I've read up a bit about it and think it's what I'm looking for. It's a clean preamp, which is what I'm looking for. I'm told it's worth a lot more than a 500 dollarish pre.

I've seen a couple posts on here regarding them, saying that they're good for clean pres. But I haven't heard anyone personally say "Yeah I own one and think this and that about it" I'd like to know you opinions on using it. If you have any audio samples and if you'd consider another preamp at under 600 over it. Remember I'm looking for clean.

I've been considering purchase this. I've read up a bit about it and think it's what I'm looking for. It's a clean preamp, which is what I'm looking for. I'm told it's worth a lot more than a 500 dollarish pre.

I've seen a couple posts on here regarding them, saying that they're good for clean pres. But I haven't heard anyone personally say "Yeah I own one and think this and that about it" I'd like to know you opinions on using it. If you have any audio samples and if you'd consider another preamp at under 600 over it. Remember I'm looking for clean.

Try a search on Gearslutz.com. I've found a number of threads on the Grace 101 there.

D&R makes a nice sounding clean pre that comes in at about $500 for 2 channels:)

how does it compare? I don't want just suggestions of preamps. I can list tons of preamps out there in the same price range too, but what are the benefits of owning a D&R vs the grace? I know most of it is just taste and what you're looking for but..I could use a little bit more info than just a list of nice preamps in the same price range. Cons? pros?

D&R makes a nice sounding clean pre that comes in at about $500 for 2 channels:)

i got very interested in this a few weeks back as i saw someone selling one used, but when i checked the d&r site-- particularly the product page for this pre that i saw linked in another thread and post about this thing, i couldn't find it (got a 404 message). i checked their site and couldn't find mention of this pre. hopefully it's available again though...

It's a very fast design, very clean, very quiet, and transparent as a Zeiss lense. Just be sure that that's really what you want. The fault that has been cited a few times abut the Grace is that it's specs and performance deliver a sound that borders on clinical, even sterile. For vocals in the same price range, I like the P-Solo better. But that's just me.

The Grace does often have that "clinical" or "sterile" sound. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. THe D&R is what I consider to be a little more of a "transparent" sound. It mostly sounds like it just isn't there, where as with the Grace, even though it is clean, there is something about it that is almost unrealistic. I don't really know how to describe it.

Haven't used a Grace, but do own and use the P-Solo which I wouldn't consider "sterile" at all. For me, it has worked for vocals, and as a nice DI (ran bass and a guitar clean through it).

I may have to retract my reccomendation for a D&R preamp. I went to their site and there is no longer information in their current product line which leads me to beleive that it is no longer in current production. If you are interested though, you could email them. It is likely that the owner, Duco, will personally email you back within 24 hours and let you know if and where you can get one.

Back