grace 101

I have the Grace Lunatec V3, which is similar. It is a solid unit. I love it.

You can literally find thousands of concert recordings made with the V3 over on archive.org, if you want to hear a sample. Most all tapers document the source, so recordings made with the V3 should be easy to spot. This might give you an idea of how that 101 will sound.

I used the Grace 101s for live sound for a long time, but decided to upgrade to Great River. An inexpensive alternative to the 101, which is also transparent and clinical sounding is the Trackmaster Pro.

Personally, transparent and clinical is about the opposite of how I would describe the Trackmaster Pro or any of the Focusrite platinum line. Dull and boxy maybe, but not transparent or clinical.

Personally, transparent and clinical is about the opposite of how I would describe the Trackmaster Pro or any of the Focusrite platinum line. Dull and boxy maybe, but not transparent or clinical.

Not only did I find it transparent, but it reminds me of the Focusrite Green, which was also too clinical for my tastes. I do agree though that it can be somewhat dull.

Speaking of Grace Designs, there was a great interview with the founder in Tape Op this month.

I would not consider the Focusrite green to be clinical either. You should listen to a Grace sometime so you can hear the difference. It will probably redefine how you describe things. The whole Focusrite platinum range sounds to me almost like it isn't full range. Almost like it has low pass and high pass filters engaged at 70hz and 12khz or something. The EQ's on them seem ok, but the comps are pretty shitty as well.

I would not consider the Focusrite green to be clinical either.

I do consider them clinical and the switches on it were junk, especially considering it was in the thousand dollar range when I purchased one back in 1996 or 1997.

You should listen to a Grace sometime so you can hear the difference. It will probably redefine how you describe things.
Having worked with Grace 101s for a long time, I upgraded to Great Rivers and indeed it has redefined how I describe things :)

The whole Focusrite platinum range sounds to me almost like it isn't full range. Almost like it has low pass and high pass filters engaged at 70hz ]and 12khz or something. The EQ's on them seem ok, but the comps are pretty shitty as well.

With the Trackmaster Pro, I found the EQ was only good for scooping mids, and there was no control over Q or cutting or boosting in small increments. Strangely, the compressor was the only thing that was "marginally" decent about it, since it was fairly transparent. But, still not my choice in a channel strip.

Back