Good Pre-amp choice for £500?

diskobox

Hello,

I was thinking of selling my Allen & Heath MixWizard 3 (16:2), and buying some decent pre-amps.

I was thinking i will probably get around £500 for it (used but mint condition)

and in its place buying a 4-channel tube preamp like the
TL AUDIO 5001

What sort of price do you think i could sell the Mixwizard for? and what are my best options in terms of buying preamps for that amount of money?

thanks!

Ian

I Used to have the Same Mixer and i had good results with it (Better than the pres on my 828MKII)FMR RNP would be a great next step but I will recommend Also M-Audio DMP3 if you need just 2 inputs (And salve a lot of money) ,M-Audio Octane,or Line 6 UX8 If you need 8 or if you need one check out the Focusrite ISA One (Used).

For £500 you've got lots of great options to get a decent preamp!

I picked up a secondhand Focusrite ISA One +Digital Card for £400!

I was originally using an M-Audio Tampa + DMP3 and couldn't imagine a higher end preamp being much better but the ISA One is!
Firstly it's significantly quieter than the Tampa and DMP3. Also my mics now such smoother and less harsh!!

There are many other excellent options worth checking out aswell :-

DAV BG-1
Grace M-101
Chameleon Labs 7602mkII
Daking Mic Pre One
True Systems P-Solo
Black Lion Auteur
GAP PRE-73
+ DIY options

i should have mentioned sorry im looking for 4 channel mic preamps, and actually i think i can afford £600

what are peoples opinions on the Sytek MPX-4Aii?

would the preamps on this be significantly better than the ones on an Allen & Heath Mixwizard 3?

Diskobox,

What are you recording? Do you want/need 4 of the same mic pres?

I've used both the Mixwiz 3 and the Sytek. Though I've never compared them side by side, I'd say you're not going to see an appreciable difference in the sound of the two mic preamps. The advantage (depending on your needs) is that the Mixwiz gives you 16 mic pres, EQ and routing flexibility.

Depending on what you're recording, you may consider keeping the Mixwiz and saving your money for a really nice single channel mic pre for vocals, if you record them. Something like the True Systems P-Solo. I hear a significant difference between the Sytek and the P-Solo.

Just my two cents.

Joel

4 channel is kind of an odd number...you might not have as many options...maybe 2 two channel pres...and if you are limited to a dollar ammount...you might go ahead and give the US ammount too because alot of us might give you $500 options while they might be too much.

hello,

thanks for your replies,

dollars amount- im looking to spend $1000

i would be recording 8 tracks of drums, then guitar, bass and vocal overdubs.

Im recording onto PC through an M-Audio Delta 1010lt.

I also have an 8-track tascam 488 mkII portastudio (Which i use for the Pre-amps only) .

My inital idea was to sell the Allen & Heath Mixwizard and buy something like the Sytek MPX4aii. Then use the 4 pres on the Sytek to record overheads, kick and snare, and use the pres on the Tascam 488 for toms and stuff. For all overdubs i would be using the pres on the Sytek

but if there is not much of a significant difference between the Allen and Heath preamps and the Sytek preamps, it would probably be better keeping the Allen & Heath...

Thoughts?

Well if you are going to use 8 tracks Ill second the Line6 UX8...its a little outside the box but it can clone the Neve...API...and Avalon stuff very well.

Back