Good Mic pre amp for voice over?

bluezero2x

What is a good pre amp for voice over work? i have a rack, and i want to go with something higher end than a portable pre. I'll be using one mic only, and no instruments.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I had planned on getting a sapphire pro 40 before i found this forum. (not sure if im even on the right forum for these questions)
If i go high end, i was going to get an Avalon VT-737sp.

Right now i have an AT4040 mic, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
The sapphire is a computer interface with built-in preamps.

The other preamps mentioned STILL need a computer interface, just so you know...

Another inexpensive preamp thats getting a lot of attention is the Art Pro MPA II.

I would personally get a decent interface with pres built in. You could look at something like the Apogee Duet, Focusrite Forte or TC Impact Twin for a high quality interface/pre and I would then put the rest of your money towards a better mic and Izotope Nectar 2 for mixing. The AT4040 sound sound a little bright and edgy on some voices. Saying that, it may be a good match for your voice and without hearing it it's quite hard to make a suggestion.

Are the acoustics of your recording space perfect (and tested for frequency response by a professional with the right gear)? Do you have a really good, fully professional microphone?

If you can't answer "yes" to both those questions then your money will be better spent on an interface with decent pre amps (like many of them have) and then sorting out the rest of your system. Pre amps make a pretty (well, very) subtle difference to your sound unless you go for one designed to colour the sound...and, even there, why not get a mic with a "colour" that you like?

Well, i would like a good preamp/interface combo. Apart from checking here, ive been told to get a focusrite 2i2.. I'm really not so sure where to look up what id need really.

I was under the impression that a preamp merely powers the mic, and the interface converts analog into digital. Is this correct?

An interface such as the Focusrite 2i2 has mic preamps that can provide phantom power to a mic as well as provide the connection to your computer. This is typical of most interfaces like this one. An additional preamp could be used in conjunction with an interface to add some "color" or "warmth" to the sound, but isn't necessary.

...and, speaking as one who has done a bit of post production mixing, I'd rather start with a very neutral and uncoloured voice over track. A noise floor as low as possible and an acoustic space not adding natural reverb or atmosphere would be far more important to me.

(As an aside, psycho acoustics is a weird thing. If you have a shot of somebody speaking or singing in specific space, the mind wants the right acoustic for that performance--hence the way people miming to a studio track in an outdoor setting can seem so jarring. However, the opposite applies too: if you have a disembodied voice talking about something seen on the screen, you want the voice to be as neutral and lacking room presence as possible to avoid it being "wrong". Note that I'm talking about voice overs here--music is a different kettle of fish.)

So, i could get a high quality interface with a built in pre amp correct?

I would suggest buying a real mic pre that has a digital out. Those interfaces use the same mic pre design. (soundcraft 200b mic pre) the only difference is some the transistor preamps are surface mount design. Nice sounding pin and hole transistors are hard to find there are some that work, but edgy (used in presonus xmax soundcraft 200b preamp clone) but then they kill the sound with using too many metal film and surface mount devices which leave a sterile sound. surface mount coupling and bypass caps never perform as well as the pin and hole capacitors. What I think the R&D departments of these companies need to do is to throw away their distortion meter, get some nice speakers and test amp and actually hear what is going on. And see if they can build real gear the correct way (instead of copying someone)

so yea buy a real mic pre like that API A2D if you really want to step up the game. yes the real deal, not 312 clones that they should be paying homage to API for the circuit they stole.
That goes for the 1076 everyone tries and they need to give up because it will never be like the original (built with love)

The channel strips mentioned give you instant control of eq, comp, gating and volume/gain.

The interface is going to require a pc and then the plugs/software will offer the gain/eq/comp/de-essing etc...

Im not sure what your meaning other than you want to go portable. Are you going to be plugging into other peoples computers? I would imagine any studio you go to is going to have a interface and inputs, so if you want a consistent setup to plug in with, in addition to your microphone, the DBX above is covering it all and fairly "portable" I guess?

Unless you want something small like a Joe Meek VC3 1/2 strip size.

Back