Good efx unit to make old synths come alive and sound "modern"

anppilot

Never Act Like U Know All
I have a few old synths. I.E., Yamaha TX81Z, TX802, TG77, M1R, 01W, etc.

The synths sounds sound very very good, they sound flat as far as stereo seperation, choruses and reverbs goes.

I wouldnt mine buying an efx unit for each synth. Should be about 8 of them.

I was thinking about the Yamaha spx2000 but they are about $1100 EACH.

Not happening.

But the Yamaha spx90 seems like a good price. i have never used one so I dont know if it sounds "dated". Have read alot, but never played with one.

What about the Lexicon mx400? about $300 at guitar center? if I buy 4 of them since they have 4 in 4 out, I know I can get them cheaper then $300

What would you folks recomend in my situation? Price? Thanks.

Last edited:
I wouldnt mine buying an efx unit for each synth. Should be about 8 of them.
You only have two hands, so i can't understand wanting 8 effects units... you could do it cheaper with a small 8 channel rack mixer and one or two great effects...

Kurzweil Rumour & Mangler

I have a few oldies as well...

TX 802, JV1080, D550/PG1000, and Memorymoog (to go with my Triton, Juno G, Nord Electro, MicroQ, Micron, Wavestation, Motif, Vintage Keys, QSR, Evolver blah, blah). I run everything into a 32 channel Behringer board, I use both a Lexicon MX 200 (dual channel MFX, purchased used for about $100.00), and a Lexicon LXP 15 II (purchased used for about $150.00). They do a fine job of adding some "color" to these old FM synths. BTW, I run my Memorymoog through a Moog MURF 105 to get some very interesting frequency modulated tones.

Back