FX Routing ???

ZZWave

Hi all,

I have a small home studio setup. I use a Mackie 1604 for my mics, soundcards(PC), keys etc.

I use a Boss SE-50 to add some verb to my vocals when writing etc. I have the LEFT(mono) OUT going to an AUX return on the 1604. I have the LEFT(mono) IN going to an AUX send on the 1604. All OK.

I want to add a line mixer to my setup for some older rack synths that don't have FX. I will be taking the 2 OUT'S of the line mixer into 2 IN's of the 1604.

My question:

Can I run the RIGHT OUT of the SE-50 into an AUX return on the line mixer and the RIGHT IN of the SE-50 into an AUX send on the line mixer? This way I could add FX to individual channels on the line mixer and not have to add FX to all the synths on the 2 IN's on the 1604 (where the line mixer would be plugged into).

I was wondering if this would work(the splitting of the SE-50 Left/Right IN's/OUT's to 2 different mixers) and also not cause damage to any thing, the SE-50 or cause problems.

Hope someone understands my gibberish!

Happy 4th and Peace...Ron

Yes you can. I have one of these. The se-50 can be set up as two independent mono processors. Do you have the manual? I haven't used it in awhile so I don't exactly remember how to do it. You can set the thing up so you can get reverb and delay on both channels, with independent control for each. I think there are other combos as well, like chorus/verb, delay/chorus, etc.

Thanks for the reply boingoman.

No I don't have a manual. Searched all over for one on the web. No luck except big $$$ if you know what I mean.

I don't know how to set up as two independent mono processors. It just has the 2 controls on the front labeled INPUT (left and right).

Well thanks and if you come up with any more ideas or info, I would appreciate it greatly..

Peace...Ron

Found it- Holy crap! I forgot. It's actually a pretty complex and versatile piece, with a lot of features. I kind of gave it up after awhile, but think I'm going to revisit it. The manual is 120 pages long. Probably why it's $$$.

Hey boingoman,

Ever figure out how to set it up as 2 independent processors? Or you still readin the whole manual? LOL

Peace...Ron

I also have the SE-50 but its really really noisy. I get a super loud hum but only when the effect button is on, also when I take out the limiter it gets less noise, but it's still there. It's a loud hum, I have another effect unit in the same place, but no hum. Do you guys ever hear that out of yours?

Hi junplugged,

I get no hum whatsoever and very little noise on my SE-50.

Try another set of cables for the SE-50.
Try moving the SE-50 away from all other units.
Try moving the power supply to another spot.
Try plugging the power supply into a different wall socket, one that's not on the same circuit as your other gear.
Reroute the cables to and from the SE-50 and keep them away from other units.

Probably more, but all that I could think of at this moment.

Good luck..Peace...Ron

ZZWave said:
Hi junplugged,

I get no hum whatsoever and very little noise on my SE-50.

Try another set of cables for the SE-50.
Try moving the SE-50 away from all other units.
Try moving the power supply to another spot.
Try plugging the power supply into a different wall socket, one that's not on the same circuit as your other gear.
Reroute the cables to and from the SE-50 and keep them away from other units.

Probably more, but all that I could think of at this moment.

Good luck..Peace...Ron
It's better now, thanks. I had to move it and unplug everything else, and re-routed the cables. It was a lot of work, I had to build another rack space under other gear.

It's been a while since I used it, the last time I did I also had noise. It's got a small hiss but nothing like the nasty 15dB hell coming out earlier.

The one thing I didn't have to worry about was my new handmade 90% sheilding cables I assembled last week. Thick pro co cable, Neutrik ends. It was nice weather so I sat outside and soldered for a couple of hours for a couple of days.

Hi junplugged,

Glad it's working better. I don't know what you use the SE-50 for but here is a link to an alternative bank of Reverbs only for the SE-50.

http://www.thenoise.ca/noisepage/SE50.html

It's in sysex format, so just use any sysex program or if your sequencer has the ability, just use it. I use Cakewalk or the freeware(donationware) program MIDIOX (midiox.com).

Be sure to backup (dump) your presets first in case you don't like them.

I have a couple of others, including the factory sysex if you want them.

Peace..Ron

Email me : zor@blueridge.net

Hey thanks Ron, I guess you like that unit. I got it new a loong time ago. I replaced the battery once about 2 years ago, but it's doing the garbage characters onthe display again, and loosing the settings each time it's unplugged.

So I just redo the settings a lot. did you notice in the manual that there are 2 sample rates, 32 and 48 and there's an asterisk that says that the frequency response is 20 to 15khz on 32 but goes up to 20khz on 48?

And on the chart it says that there are only a few algorithms that use 48.

I was using the 8khz LP FILTER on the EQ in Keyboard multi 1 (b/c it was a 48 rate) and I got an interesting effect that sounded more like I had compressed it but that was the only setting that wasn't either off or at 0. I was looking at the filter info but it didn't say it cut it down to zero, Do you think it does? I can hear the lmit on the high end, but I can't be sure it attenuated the freq.s above 8khz totally, I'll go look again at the man for the low pass info, wondering.

Before you said that you didn't have noise, I was considering a lot of other options. I once asked a guy at a store what I could get for it and he said, $40. I think I paid a lot for it, like 300? I don't remember it was, I don't even know, 15 years ago???

You saved me some dough on new outboard gear. I do like the reverb on it.

Hi junplugged,

Don't know anything about the samplerate or much of anything about the filters or algorithms as I don't have a manual for mine so I can't comment.

If you have been getting the garbage on the display, and have replaced the battery before...replace it again. I believe it's just a CR-2032 available at RadioShack, Staples or even at some Walmarts in the Wristwatch dept.

They only cost $3, so I wouldn't hestitate instead of redoing the settings all the time. Takes 10 Min.

Peace...Ron

Hey you know the number, great, I'll go get one. I didn't feel like opening it up and leave it around open.... Well, it did get me to memorize a few of the parameters in there.... The manual is ok, but not so important, it really just repeats a lot of what you can see just looking at the settings.

Back