Furman Power conditoner humming!

j.harv

@#$%
Anybody out there own a Furman Power conditioner???
Does yours hum when switched on????
Mine does. Is this normal?

Guessing here as I do not own one, but from other gear I have owned, have a look inside and check that there is not a loose fixing around the transformer.

Alan.

I just assumed they meant acoustic noise not electrical, what is the problem j.harv?

Alan.

It's just the furman.....It's not super loud,but it is noticeable. This happens first a power up before I switch anything else on.
I bought a second one new, for my second rack last week and it emits a hum too,but a very quiet hum which doesn't bother me as much as the first one.
As long as this humming doesn't affect my recordings,im ok with it. I just though these things were supposed to run quiet and filter out that kind of noise.

I go back to what I said, it must be a transformer hum, check for loose bolts, it maybe that the transformer has loose laminations.

Alan.

I have two older Furman AR 1220 voltage regulators, and a newer Furman P8 Pro Series II conditioner, which sits in front of the VR since it has better surge/spike/filtration than what is in the older VR units.
The VRs do hum, one less the other a little more (I use just the one mostly, 20A covers a good deal of my gear)...of course, they have huge transformers, so that's not really unusual.
The P8 Pro has no hum.
I do notice with my VR units, that when the power coming in swings a bit more dramatically....the hum may change, as the tranny is doing more work to regulate it back to proper voltage....but that's not very often.

It's not unusual to get sometimes get a little hum with power conditioning/regulation units...but it shouldn't be really loud. Like, you would have to be in front of the unit in a quiet room to hear it. If it's loud enough to be heard over music, etc....I would call Furman and see what they say....they're pretty good with the customer service.

Back