Funny first look at the presonus tube pre

Here's something almost as bad!...I recently bought an MD421 off of Kijiji from someone who is supposedly knowledgeable at doing voiceovers and their own production work/editing for a local radio station, commercials, etc. When I went to pick it up I was double-checking everything on it to make sure it was authentic and I asked them "Did you know this was here?", referring to the 5-point low end roll-off rotary switch at the bottom of the mic. They said "Oh ya I knew it was there, I usually keep it in the stereo setting". I said "Stereo? Oh actually it's a low end roll off switch - the "S" is for speech and the "M" is for music, so you can find where works best for the source". They said "Oh I always interpreted it as Stereo or Mono". :facepalm:

Here's something almost as bad!...I recently bought an MD421 off of Kijiji from someone who is supposedly knowledgeable at doing voiceovers and their own production work/editing for a local radio station, commercials, etc. When I went to pick it up I was double-checking everything on it to make sure it was authentic and I asked them "Did you know this was here?", referring to the 5-point low end roll-off rotary switch at the bottom of the mic. They said "Oh ya I knew it was there, I usually keep it in the stereo setting". I said "Stereo? Oh actually it's a low end roll off switch - the "S" is for speech and the "M" is for music, so you can find where works best for the source". They said "Oh I always interpreted it as Stereo or Mono". :facepalm:

What did he think the other 3 switch positions were for? :D

In one of his 53 other videos he shows you how to take it out of the box. It helps to know the plastic bag comes off so easily, and me always looking for an exacto knife.

When he replaces the "cheap China tube" I hope he uses the vintage Telemullard with the counterclockwise wound heater. It's like having a square with a line in it button.

Last edited:
Back