Focusrite Voicemaster vs. Eureka?

They are both very sterile, tinny sounding pre's. I owned the Eureka, wouldn't buy one again. I did however buy a Joe Meek 3q that I love, whipped the Eureka's acehole in a shootout.

jonnyc said:
They are both very sterile, tinny sounding pre's. I owned the Eureka, wouldn't buy one again. I did however buy a Joe Meek 3q that I love, whipped the Eureka's acehole in a shootout.

On vocals?

A Voicemaster with the Digital output option and a Rode NTK, (or other LDC mic) and you'll be wondering how it ever sounded so good for so little.

Anything but tinny.

Oi Vey!

I have 2 Eureka's

(as well as DBX 286a, aphex 107, Orban 536, modified Phonic t8100's with telefunken and Mullard tubes, Mackie and yamaha consoles)

AND!
A Focusrite Liquid channel (and a partidge in a pear tree!)
and personally I think the Eureka's are hands down my best solid state pre's.
I cannot think of a better pre for under $500 (though the mindprint envoice at $600 is better, and tube)

I HAD a Focusrite platinum series pre, and GAVE it to a friend because it sucked! It was noisy, sterile, and made everything I put through it sound WORSE, not better.

Needless to say my vote goes for the Eureka (which I have also A/B'd to my friends ISA 220, Manley and API 500 series pre's and it did VERY well)
'
Hope this helps!

P.S. The Joe Meek stuff is VERY colorful, one of my friends has one, they are great for bass guitar but we would never use one on vocals or acoustic instruments. Good pre's and I like them and plan on getting one myself, but they are not a good first pre, as they do not sound good on everything. The Eureka is very versatile and clean, as well the compressor and EQ are very useful and suprisingly warm for the price.

I own a Eureka and use to have a VM Pro.As everybody stated,VM And all the Platinum series Sucks.Sterile and noisy, Eureka is better for my opinion but if you can found a M-Audio Tampa used get it! It is a great Pre/Comp.

I was let down pretty badly by both. They're both cheapie preamps with cheapie EQ circuits and cheapie compression circuits (which is exactly what you'd typically expect at that price point).

If you shut off all the stuff you really shouldn't have engaged during tracking anyway (the EQ and the compressor), they aren't quite as bad. Heck, the Behringer MIC2200 isn't completely awful when you bypass everything else. But it doesn't necessarily make it "good" either.

FMR's RNP is in the same ballpark price-wise and will slay - Absolutely SLAY with extreme prejudice, either of the two. M-Audio's DMP3 isn't the worst thing either (no usable headroom, just like the VM/Eur, but a better sounding preamp circuit and less "crap" in the way).

Thinking about what you could have had instead of a number of different cheap preamps is what gets to me...not really much at that price point will give you the ability to pile tracks and not ad noise.

If you have enough money for an Eureka...voicemaster...and a tampa...you coulda had a Great River or something.

Salami or Bologna...
Guinness or Murphys...
Jameson or Bushmills...
North Face or Marmot...
Ford or Chevy...
which do you prefer?

On Vocals?

If I was looking for a preamp under $500 then these would be on my shortlist :-

True Systems P-Solo
GAP PRE-73
Black Lion Auteur

The Tampa is an ok preamp but it makes my mics sound a little harsh.

Looking at the short list you have...there are some mics that arent helping...Id start looking for improvement there.

I see a trusystems being OK since it has lack of color and will bring out the sound of a good mic...but most other canidates fall short arround this price point.

Looking at the short list you have...there are some mics that arent helping...Id start looking for improvement there.

I see a trusystems being OK since it has lack of color and will bring out the sound of a good mic...but most other canidates fall short arround this price point.

This is Turning a "Microphones" Thread.... I'll also recommend to upgrade your Mics.You have Nice Pres.;)

Back