Focusrite Trackmaster Pro and to my computer how?

ThaArtist

I have a computer fire wired tothe mackie onyx 400f...

How would I hook this focusrite trakmaster pro Screen shot of the back up to my setup?

im guessing i'd have to run it through the onyx since thats really my sound interface... in order to get the signal to my computer?

if thats the case what exactly is happening then?

You'll probably need to go from the +4 output jack into one of the line ins of the onyx. You do need to hook it up thru your mackie, if you run it into your pc you're going to be using the pc's soundcard and not the mackie.

So what is that really doing in terms of what its using from the mackies onyx and the focusrite? Is it just using the mackie as a way of relaying information to my computer or is the sound from the focusrite actually being impacted by the mackie onyx 400f before it goes into the computer?

So what is that really doing in terms of what its using from the mackies onyx and the focusrite? Is it just using the mackie as a way of relaying information to my computer or is the sound from the focusrite actually being impacted by the mackie onyx 400f before it goes into the computer?
It's just going digitally straight to your console where you can route it degradation free to your computer.

I don´t know wich has the better clock, but you can sync
the focusrite from the mackie if you want via the worldclock.

Matti

I don´t know wich has the better clock, but you can sync
the focusrite from the mackie if you want via the worldclock.

Matti

If you're using the focusrite on its own (ie not using the mackie's preamps) then i would clock from the focusrite.

Always aim to use the clock source closest to the (largest number of) preamp. If you're using the focusrite and 4 channels of mackie, i'd clock from the mackie.

focusrite trakmaster pro with a/d card = microphone preamplifier
Control Room / Headphone mixes
Word Clock and S/PDIF
compressor/mid-scoop EQ

Mackie Onyx 400F = microphone preamplifier
Control Room / Headphone mixes
Word Clock and S/PDIF I/O

if you haven't bout the focusrite yet, i would consider using the money for a compressor and hooking it up to the Mackie via INSERT.

but if you have already got the focusrite i would:
1) go into the trackmaster and set your gain as desired
2) grab the hpf and cut unwanted frequencies if needed
3) apply compression if desired, then make up gain. (i like to set it around -5)

4) use the monitoring and a/d features from the Mackie
5) set the mackie to zero and bring the trakmaster into the Mackie at the volume you like to track at (do this by adding gain from the Mackie)

this is just the way i like to do it, there may be others that agree or disagree, but i think it's a good starting point if you are unsure.

yeah im gonna get a compressor and better vocal mic next and just stick with the mackies preamps for now but i used a focusrite preamp on a bigger unit that had a preamp, eq, compress, vocal harmonizer on one rack unit... and really liked the sound with a blue mic... so was looking more into focusrite a little bit cause its not so expensive either... but yeah i do need a compressor and better vocal mic with the onyx 400f too... but i learned some stuff from this thread so thats good... im better educated for future decisions...

When you consider the trackmaster pro remember you'll
have to kick in extra cash for the A/D card if you want
to use SPDIF. Unless of course your buying one with it
pre installed.

Back