focusrite isa 828 problems

swannie

have the 828 connected via optical cable to my UA Apollo interface to record my 8 drum mics, using my macbook pro and logic 9, I have already recorded some great drum tracks with this setup, until today i updated my macbook, and now all of a sudden the sound coming out of the 828 is all distorted like every mic is clipping but they are clearly not and the input gains are all set where I was using them before today. Couls it have anything to do with updating my macbook? Also getting alot of interference noises and pops sounds which all disappear as soon as you turn the 828 off.

What update did you do?
If it was a full operating system update I'd take a look for the current UA drivers for the apollo.
Other than that, check all your clock settings.
I'm not sure how important that is with an optical connection, but it's definitely worth checking given the symptoms.

Disconnect the 828 adat cable, reboot, and do some recording from the apollo built in mic pres.
That'll tell you if it's apollo drivers or an issue with the 828.

i dont think it was a full operating system update, the apollo seems to be still working correctly, i will try to do some recording today, but its working fine still in regards to music playback. about the clock scource, I'm not really up on that topic, ive never done anything with a external clock in the past, this setup i have has always just worked without it.

Well the 828 is just passing digital audio into the interface; It doesn't need drivers or anything like that.
The interface, however, needs drivers. Even a system update from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 can mean a driver update is needed,
so check your OS version and google for drivers for it just to be sure.

I've used spdif preamps with interfaces before and they were picky about the clock source. That resulted in clicking and popping so I'd look there too.

I'm sure someone here can be more definite with their answers, but in the mean time go to finder and hit shift-apple-u (utilities), the go into Audio/Midi setup.
Click on your interface and at the top you'll see "clock source", assuming some other software isn't managing it.
Change it to internal or adat optical (whichever it's not set to) and see what happens.

you were rite, thanks so much, it must have swithched everything back to default during update, clock scource was set to internal.

Back