Firewire audio interface choices ???

Mikey77

Tascam or Alesis firewire ???

I've been using an entry level 2 channel mic pre with a PCI card and would like to move up to a firewire interface with at least 4 or even 8 decent mic pres.

I've seen a couple of things like the TASCAM FW-1804 and the Alesis IO units and I think Phonic and Yamaha have similar things . Also I've seen reference to some units having built in FX. What are these like?

They all seem to be doing pretty much the same thing but I guess some would have better pres and some would, no doubt, have less glitches.

Any advice or warnings would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Tascam FW1804

I just picked up an FW1804 from Sweetwater.com for only $300. I haven't put it through all of its paces yet, but so far so good. The pres sound good and I haven't had any problems sinking it to my laptop. Seems to work great with Sonar 4. Haven't installed the programs that come with it (nor will I). I ran the Adat out into the optical in of my Iriver H140--makes for a very quiet, good sounding way to record shows in stereo (assuming that you feel like hauling the FW1804 to a show and can plug it in). At that price, I just don't see how you can go wrong. :D

Harplover said:
I haven't put it through all of its paces yet, but so far so good. The pres sound good and I haven't had any problems sinking it to my laptop. :D

Sounds promising. As I mentioned I've been in my early learning stage with a very basic 2 channel mic pre by Behringer. Which is probably similar to their mixer pres. Do you think the Tascam is any kind of step-up from that level regarding its pres ???

Also what other units did you consider, or is this just a cheapie to go with your other more expensive units ??

I've been pretty happy with my MOTU 828 mkII. They have the 8 Pre or something like that now. Mine only has two pres, but then it has 8 inputs on the back (for 10 channels), and you can add 8 more through ADAT. Haven't tried that. The Aleisis i/O units are looking pretty impressive as far as bang for the buck goes.

I use a MOTU Traveler - very full featured. Four pres, but a whole lot more input channels. I've been impressed with their support (replaced an out-of-warranty damaged unit for a smallish fee and no hassle).

me and a friend have a alesis multimix 16 track, we were going to get the phonic 16 track but opted for the slightly more expensive alesis due to better sound. lots of people have had trouble with the driver disk for the alesis but if you download the new ones off the website you will be fine. the onboard effect are quite impressive imo, but i still prefer to add fx on cubase. its very small in size as well (i was expecting something much bigger). i think that firewire mixers are perfect for small studios and projects, as you dont have to mess about with interfaces ect. very easy to use at the end of the day.

-dave

I use a MOTU Traveler and I've also owned a Preonus Firebox. I've a good experience with both those units. The Traveler obviously has more I/O and preamps.

I use the Tascam FW1082, I think it's the same AD/DA and pres as the 1804 but with the control surface too.

The pres are OK, I don't really use them. The AD/DA is good for the price. I can't imagine they'd be much different from other entry level stuff.

I use an Adaptec fireconnect PCI firewire card to connect (it has a TI chip which seem to be recommended for recording interfaces), I've never had any problems recording with it.

Back