Firepod or MOTU 8pre?

Which interface do you think is better!?

• Firepod

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • MOTU 8pre

Votes: 59 53.2%

• Total voters

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
Christmas is coming soon and yes , my parents still buy me Christmas presents. This year to my surprise they are willing to spend some money on me for audio equipment. Of course I am happy about this but now for me to cut to the chase.

I have 2 options. I could either get the Firepod for 500 dollars or the MOTU 8pre for 550. Yes I do realize that the MOTU 8pre is still extremely new. Anyone who's had the MOTU 8pre should please speak up and anyone (many of you) who have the firepod should also speak up. I want you to voice your opinions as to why you think its better or worse. Thank you very much!

Which interface is better? I want to let you guys decide!

(and help me figure out which one I should get for christmas!)

Haven't ever used the MOTU 8pre, but almost bought some of MOTU's stuff, and I've owned a Firepod. Features in the MOTU are much better than the Firepod's, and it's much more expandable. To me, this is a simple choice. Once you get tired of 8 inputs, the Firepod really requires you to get something besides a Firepod. The MOTU will allow you to expand cheaply.

Have fun!

I believe MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) is considered more "high end" than some other gear. Doesn't nessicarily mean the 8Pre is better that the Firebox.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm looking at a Firewire (or similar) interface.

Have you condisered the Alesis MultiMix Series of Firewire mixers?

Yeah I agree that MOTU is generally considered more high end than Presonus. I was into Alesis Multimix when they were first coming out ... I stayed updated with them and kept checking how they were doing but I kept reading about technical difficulties with installation and use. That really turned me off , I havent looked into it that much more but maybe theyve fixed some of the bugs. Personally going by looks and specs. the MOTU wins me over , I guess I'm mainly scared about glitches and things of that sort since it is still very new. I would like to hear others opinions. I understand the firepod tends to be user friendly and its been around so a lot of the bugs have been worked out. Tell me what you guys think! :)

..or a lot of bugs are popping up from people that have had them for a year and a half and they're starting to break from design flaw

i'd personally go with the 8pre for nothing more than the adat capability if they were otherwise specced identically

I feel like I've gotten myself into a no brainer..

Nobody has even voted for the firepod , not even because they have it and want to believe its better. MOTU 8 pre? might be an easy decision then. Thanks guys.

You've made your decision, and I'd guess you're making the right one. My experience with the Firepod was a good one but I sold it though, and why? Not enough expandability. The Firestudio offer's what the Firepod didn't, but at a higher cost. If I were in the market now, I'd go with the 8Pre. Yeah, it's a little young yet, but I've had good experiences with Motu in the past and I'm guessing that it probably is a decent sounding interface.

Last edited:
8Pre, definitely.

I have two of 'em and a FIREPOD. The FIREPOD has been... temperamental, as has my M-Audio FW1814.

The FW1814 (which you don't care about, I'm guessing) has digital I/O ports that are switchable between S/PDIF and ADAT (coaxial or optical). Problem is, they go unstable unless it's the first device on the FireWire bus. They also go unstable if you have more than about two devices on the FireWire bus. The unit itself seems perfectly solid under those conditions, but the digital I/O won't lock to any outside sync and nothing else will lock to it, either. :eek:

The FIREPOD's S/PDIF ports became nonfunctional after a firmware update, so they replaced it. Also, the instrument pres in the FIREPOD seem to have a lot more hum at similar gain when compared with my Behringer V-Amp Pro. I'm not sure why that could be, but the difference was pretty significant in my limited testing.

That said, the 8Pre isn't without its warts. One thing I don't like about the 8Pre is that the inputs are all on the back and the XLR and 1/4" are the Neutrik combo jacks. That makes it impossible to wire them to a snake that has combo jacks and switch back and forth without switching cables behind your rack.

If I were designing the 8Pre, I'd probably have built it with a hinge and ribbon cable at the midpoint of the bottom. In the normal configuration, it would be exactly as it is now. In the folded position, the jacks would be in the front in the rack space below the front panel. I'd personally use one of them in one configuration and one in the other if it had that feature. That said, it a relatively minor design flaw, solvable with a pair of rack rails, so it's not a particularly big deal. Hmm. I think I'll get me two sets of rails when I'm at Fry's today. :D

One other minor concern about the 8Pre is that its ADAT optical jacks have a built-in flip-down dust cover which is integral to the locking mechanism that holds the cables in place. I broke one my first night with them. It was probably simply defective from the factory, but I thought I should warn you to be careful to avoid torquing the plug when inserting it. Treat it like you're plugging a processor into a socket and not like a power strip into an outlet and you'll probably be fine. :D

If I were designing the 8Pre, I'd go back to the standard shove-in plug covers. I would always choose robustness over "cute". If you want to be cute, fasten the plug covers to the unit permanently with a flexible plastic strap right beside the jack or something.

Some things the 8Pre does much better than the FIREPOD are:

• Separate phantom power switches for each channel.
  • 10dB pad switch on every channel.
  • Ability to daisy-chain two devices optically so your computer sees it as a single 16-channel interface. Much easier on your CPU load.
  • Excellent drivers (at least on the Mac). While I still wish (from a long-term "if MOTU went bankrupt, would my device still work" perspective) that the 8Pre were FireWire AVC compatible like the FIREPOD, the CPU load from my pair of 8Pre interfaces is fantastically low. They really got their drivers right. I'm impressed.
  • Ability to disable optical input, output, or both through software to conserve bus bandwidth.
  • Ability to configure all critical settings through front-panel controls when used as a stand-alone ADAT preamp unit.
  • Level meters in hardware. 'Nuff said.
  • Power switch on the FRONT. What was Presonus THINKING!?!

And somehow, the 8Pre's hard plastic shell just feels more robust than the thin metal case of the FIREPOD, but if you rack mount it, I suppose it doesn't make any real difference.

Last edited:
dgatwood said:
[*]Excellent drivers (at least on the Mac). While I still wish (from a long-term "if MOTU went bankrupt, would my device still work" perspective) that the 8Pre were FireWire AVC compatible like the FIREPOD, the CPU load from my pair of 8Pre interfaces is fantastically low. They really got their drivers right. I'm impressed.
One of the reasons that CPU load is so low is because of the dedicated card (PCI 324/424)... handles some additional processing... And MOTU drivers have always been excellent on MACs... they're getting better on the PC, but everytime I've called tech support they gave the impression that I should expect problems on a PC... (this was quite a few years ago now)

I own a couple of MOTU Pieces... (midi timepiece, 2408). Even with some initial driver problems, they're rock solid after you pull your hair out for a couple of days...

I've sold a ton of gear in the last 30 years... never even considered letting these go.

Awesome post's guys. I am really glad that youre stating the faults of the 8pre rather than just praise. I've been wanting to hear the downsides to it a little bit more and now that I have , I think I feel even better about the purchase. I ordered the motu 8pre a few days ago and now its in my living room in a big cardboard box. Catch is , its a "christmas present". Maybe I could sneak it out for a few test runs :D . Also , I'm running it on windows xp pro , so hopefully they will have worked out some of those windows bugs. Thanks alot guys! :D

If you try the 8pre out before X-Mas, let us know what you think.

I know I'm VERY interested to hear anything I can about it!

MOFO Pro said:
One of the reasons that CPU load is so low is because of the dedicated card (PCI 324/424)... handles some additional processing... And MOTU drivers have always been excellent on MACs... they're getting better on the PC, but everytime I've called tech support they gave the impression that I should expect problems on a PC... (this was quite a few years ago now)

Uh... That doesn't explain the low CPU load on an 8Pre. Strictly FireWire....

dgatwood said:
Uh... That doesn't explain the low CPU load on an 8Pre. Strictly FireWire....
Whoops... I stand corrected... I just assumed as a MOTU device it used a PCI 424 as an interface... gotts catch up with the times :o

i bought my firepod right before hearing about the 8 pre coming out, and I wished for a while that I had gotten the MOTU.

But... I am happy with my firepod, 100%. I am recording my jazz ensemble using all 8 pres into my celeron 1.7 laptop, with no problems.

I am not going to kick myself too much for missing out on the MOTU. I mean, by the time that I am advanced enough to want to expand what I'm doing, there will be something light years ahead of either the pod or the pre.

another vote for the motu....the reason i would get it instead of the firebod...has to be sound and plus a phatom power switch on every channel.

chestwick91 said:
another vote for the motu....the reason i would get it instead of the firebod...has to be sound and plus a phatom power switch on every channel.

I don't think the MOTU would smoke the Firepod sound wise. I think expandability would be a main reason to opt for the MOTU.

I have the MOTU 8pre now. Runs very smooth , easy to use , clean pre's and easy set up. Potential to be expanded.

Maybe I'll write an uneducated review of the 8pre :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Firepods chain together? That is, if you need another 8 ports, you get another Firepod and connect the two via Firewire? All this talk of expandability made me think of that. My friend owns two Firepods and I'm pretty sure he can record 16 simultaneously with no problems.

Myself, after hearing his Firepod, I bought a Firebox interface (the same hardware, only with fewer inputs). I have no complaints at all- excellent preamps, and I record at 4ms latency with no problems. The only hum I've experienced has been bleed from my very loud computer.

I can't compare versus MOTU though, I've never taken a listen to their product.

Back