Firepod or MOTU 8pre?

Which interface do you think is better!?

• Firepod

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • MOTU 8pre

Votes: 59 53.2%

• Total voters
So what do you use now then?

I have a firepod and have been looking for another audio interface to get 8 more channels..

To the guy looking at Studio Project mics.....I have the LSD2 (2 capsule) and it sounds monster for overheads. I've put it on a guitar cabinet and it sounds excellent on that as well. I also have a C1, and that is phenom on male vocals.

As far as the 8pre, I can't comment. I had the firepod and will say it sounded good on it's own. I got two and daisychained them and that was good. But when you do that, the SPDIF won't work.....wtf? So, I opted for 2 of the firestudio projects (cuz I'm using my Apogee Mini Me thru SPDIF and for clock)....and they sound awesome, BUT.....the drivers are complete garbage (like above said) and I am going to download the newest drivers and see if that helps the stability/random clicks. <- completely unacceptable.

I have owned 6 interfaces so far over the last 1 1/2 years ( including the firepod & 8 pre. From oldest to newest: Firepod, Motu 896,Firestudio,8 pre, Firestudio Tube,( in that order) & now The RME fireface 800 :D. If you are dreaming of a future in recording & want to know what you are capable of save yourself the hassle & get a Fireface. However... if you are just recording for fun & want to make a baby step into the world of computer recording the 8 pre is the only choice. It has far better conversion than the firepod (allowing more flexibility during mixing & a clearer sound). the firepod has slightly better preamps but Motu makes better more stable drivers. Presonus drivers are lame. I`ve heard someone on here mention how presonus should get their products working correctly, yet they continue to release new products without addressing the issues of their unstable drivers (they are correct in saying so). the Firestudio sounded more appealing to me than the 8 pre but the 8 pre is the best because it works #1, It has stable drivers#2 & as far as comparing it to the firepod? it is a better product (assuming you don`t need any ins & outs). I like the presonus hardware better but over all i want my stuff to work ( all Presonus returns were because of sluggish performance & random reboots:( )& Motu has their act together when it comes to stability & performance. & as i said before "better converters". By the way because I know own a Fireface I am going to put my 8 pre on ebay soon. It is mint condition & has about a year left on the extended warranty (through Guitar Center which i believe is transferable...I`ll have to check). I`ve updated the firmware (about a month ago). & have only unplugged from the preamps a few times ( I like to leave everything hooked up & my mics out for when inspiration strikes). It has never left my work desk nor has it been in a rack....Oh & by the way i am not the kind of person to eat fried chicken while sitting with my music gear( i will mention that on ebay because know one wants something that been gruesomely molested) . I wash my hands well before even playing guitar ( a bit O.C.D. i know)... I hope the above helped & Good luck either way;)

I Have No Experience Using Presonus As A SoundCard and I Agree MOTU Drivers Are Stables As Solid Rock.I Have 6 Years Using Motu.

I Own 2 828MKII (One for the Studio @ my parents And one for my Aparment)But i used to have a Traveler,And 2 more 828's.The Preamps is what i don't like from this Units,i don't know if we are talking about the same pres on the 8pre but they Really Sucks i could say that any other pre,even Focusrite Platinum series sounds better and Presonus pres too because i used to have the Eureka and it was far better than the 828 Pres.

If you are looking for a preamp with 8 Ins look at the Line 6 UX8,I recently bought one and i am very happy with the sound of the Pres for it self and with the Preamp models (API,Neve,Avalon etc..) M-Audio Octane is another good option (For the Lightpipe feature).But if you neeed a Audio interface with 8 preamps that's a different story.you could buy a used delta 1010 and buy a used UX8 or Octane.That's my 2 cents.

I voted for the 8pre. It's what I currently use. I have owned the presonus firestudio and it was pretty good, but I like the 8pre better. The preamps are clear and open sounding. I've had no problems whatsoever with the 8pre.

My only gripe with the 8pre is I wish it had separate volume knobs for the main and headphone outs. You have to push the knob in to toggle between the two functions.

For another comparison.. i just ordered a Mackie 400f to see how it compares to my Motu 8pre....

Back