Firepod or MOTU 8pre?

Which interface do you think is better!?

• Firepod

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • MOTU 8pre

Votes: 59 53.2%

• Total voters
Numlock said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Firepods chain together? That is, if you need another 8 ports, you get another Firepod and connect the two via Firewire? All this talk of expandability made me think of that. My friend owns two Firepods and I'm pretty sure he can record 16 simultaneously with no problems.

They do, but at a pretty significant cost in terms of CPU load. Your computer is talking to two interfaces simultaneously. With the MOTU, you can cable them together optically and your computer only sees a single interface with 16 inputs. As a result, it only has to take one interrupt instead of two, process one dump of data instead of two, etc.

It's like the difference between juggling two golf balls and juggling one baseball. In theory, they weigh about the same, but you can toss a single baseball in the air for hours without getting tired, while juggling two golf balls can wear you out in a hurry if you're not used to that sort of thing. :D

Incredibly low CPU overhead. It makes my old M-Audio Delta 1010LT look like a CPU pig by comparison, IMHO, and that was the least piggish interface I've used.... :)

Polls are like fish. They start to stink after a week or so.... You'll notice that the initial poll results for the first few weeks overwhelmingly favored the 8Pre because it was mostly from people who were in the market at the time and were looking for interfaces. The 8Pre topped the FIREPOD by more than a factor of 2:1.

Once the poll sat there long enough, the pattern started to change. Why? Each time somebody votes or comments, it moves to the top. Then, a bunch of FIREPOD owners see it and decide to vote for the FIREPOD because they own one. Thus, the later results tend to be more a measure of popularity than quality, and are thus pretty much worthless unless you're looking for stats on product popularity.

Raise your hand if you've actually used both and voted.

*raises hand*

*looks around empty room*

*crickets chirp*

Please set a stop date for polls when you create them. From what I've seen around here, the shorter the measurement period, the more likely the results are to be at least somewhat meaningful. After about two or three weeks, any votes tend to be noise. Just my $0.02.

MOTU has all 8 inputs instrument and mic inputs. The firepod only has 2 instrument inputs, channels 1 and 2.
On the Firepod, you can use an line out on channels 1 and 2 for effects or outboard preamp. MOTU doesn’t have this.
The Firepod has a lot more output options onboard with ¼ inch outputs, it looks like the MOTU needs a outboard optical converter of some sort.

dgatwood said:
They do, but at a pretty significant cost in terms of CPU load. Your computer is talking to two interfaces simultaneously. With the MOTU, you can cable them together optically and your computer only sees a single interface with 16 inputs. As a result, it only has to take one interrupt instead of two, process one dump of data instead of two, etc.

What? when you daisy chain them their is only ONE firewire cable going to the computer, your a funny guy. :rolleyes: ;) :D

I myself use 2 firepods and am very happy. Yes they daisy chain, and yes there is only one firewire cable going to the computer. I have had NO issues with CPU consumption and I have recorded all inputs at once with VST's running and all.

I don't know that much about the Motu, so I can't comment. But what i can say is, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to get another pod. In fact, I will be and recording 24 tracks at once!

The pods to me in combination of Cubase SX3, are awesome!

This post has got me interested in th motu now. I never knew about it before this thread, and now i want one, lol. Only thing i prefer about the firepod is the 8 outs. Could it link somerthing like the BEHRINGER ADA8000(i know, i know) with the motu, and use its outputs?

One thing i dislike about the firepod is the inputs on the front. I want all my cables to be concealed and control inputs etc with a patchbay. I have 24(i think, maybe 32, can't remember)sources, and these will go into max 16 inputs.

I was thinking about getting the firepod and a m-audio delta1010 and then some reasonably high-end preamps. But, with the motu, i think it'd be better, ie. an interface with 16 inputs, instead of 2 with 8, it has inputs on the back, and it can be expanded. If i expand with the Behri, it gives me 8 inputs and 8 outputs. I know the pres are shite, but i could buy some good outboard pres, and connect via the line in. And if i really need 8 of the same pres other than the motu, i can use the Behri.

Anyway, what you think?

I myself have the Presonus Firestudio(The big brother of the Firepod)and the Digimax FS and I dont mind the inputs on the front, I just put them in the lowest spot with my patchbay in the rack. I know the pre's are better than the Motu and its a very stable set-up, right now I have 16 in's and can add another Digimax FS for 24. I recommend this set-up ;)

I am also interested in the MOTU. I recently had to buy a new computer to replace my Indigo iMac, and so I have a spanking new Intel 17" 2ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs RAM. Now, I am doing my homework. First, I was salivating over the TC Audio Konnekt 24D, but saw a review over at Harmony Central that kinda made me think twice. So, I am reckoning that the MOTU 8pre and Performer v5 should, in theory, work together quite well, and that this computer should be able to handle pretty much any processing loads I may inflict upon it.

Then again, I may just play around with Garageband. Would be cheaper!

:cool:

If my car hadn't taken a dump on my chest I'd be caressing my 8pre in the rack....blah....another month. :(

dgatwood said:
Some things the 8Pre does much better than the FIREPOD are:

• Separate phantom power switches for each channel.
  • 10dB pad switch on every channel.
  • Ability to daisy-chain two devices optically so your computer sees it as a single 16-channel interface. Much easier on your CPU load.
  • Excellent drivers (at least on the Mac). While I still wish (from a long-term "if MOTU went bankrupt, would my device still work" perspective) that the 8Pre were FireWire AVC compatible like the FIREPOD, the CPU load from my pair of 8Pre interfaces is fantastically low. They really got their drivers right. I'm impressed.
  • Ability to disable optical input, output, or both through software to conserve bus bandwidth.
  • Ability to configure all critical settings through front-panel controls when used as a stand-alone ADAT preamp unit.
  • Level meters in hardware. 'Nuff said.
  • Power switch on the FRONT. What was Presonus THINKING!?!

This would work with the MOTU Traveler, Ultra Lite, etc. as well, right? (i.e. daisy-chain for 10 or 12 channels ...)

point3god said:
Anyone messed with that? This could be another consideration...

Especially since the 8Pre's downfall seems to be the lack of line outs, etc. - seems like it would be pretty sweet to have the Traveler or even the Ultra Lite and then get another 8 channels w/ pres and phantom power ...

Edit:

MOTU website says it will work:

The 8pre is really two products in one. When it is not connected to a computer via FireWire, the 8pre functions as an eight-channel analog to digital (optical) converter. Connect the 8pre to your MOTU 828, 896, Traveler or even another 8pre via the optical “lightpipe” connection to add eight high-quality microphone pre-amps to your system. Since the connection is digital, 100% pristine sound is maintained, down to the very last sample.

The 8pre is the perfect way to instantly add eight more mic inputs to any audio interface or digital mixer with optical I/O. If you have a MOTU interface with on-board CueMix DSP mixing, such as the 828mkII, 896HD or Traveler, the 8pre inputs appear directly in the host interface's CueMix mixer to becomes a transparent extension of your system, operating together with your primary interface as a single, integrated unit — even when the host interface is not connected to a computer and is instead operating as a stand-alone mixer.

Last edited:
rileykill said:
MOTU website says it will work:

The 8pre is really two products in one. When it is not connected to a computer via FireWire, the 8pre functions as an eight-channel analog to digital (optical) converter. Connect the 8pre to your MOTU 828, 896, Traveler or even another 8pre via the optical “lightpipe” connection to add eight high-quality microphone pre-amps to your system. Since the connection is digital, 100% pristine sound is maintained, down to the very last sample.

The 8pre is the perfect way to instantly add eight more mic inputs to any audio interface or digital mixer with optical I/O. If you have a MOTU interface with on-board CueMix DSP mixing, such as the 828mkII, 896HD or Traveler, the 8pre inputs appear directly in the host interface's CueMix mixer to becomes a transparent extension of your system, operating together with your primary interface as a single, integrated unit — even when the host interface is not connected to a computer and is instead operating as a stand-alone mixer.

Caveat: ADAT lightpipe can only transfer eight channels at 48kHz or below. For 96kHz mode, you need an interface with double ADAT inputs or outputs. The 8Pre does, the 828MKII, 896HD, and Traveler do not. The only other MOTU interface that does is the 2408MKIII

That said, in my experience, the CPU overhead of MOTU's drivers is low enough that you could probably handle several of the things comfortably with a modern CPU. I think they all use the same driver, so you can mix and match different models. Don't quote me on that, though.

I am in a similar dilemma as the guy who started this poll.
Can anyone say from personal experience ,wich is more Mac friendly?

I like Firepod for its 8 ch out ( monitormixing ) and 8pre for its ADAT option,meter on front and plugs in back.

I hesitate to get the 8pre cause I need more then one stereo out mix for monitors (trying to send each bandmember a personal mix ,exept maybe the singers ;) ) now ,if there were a easy fix for 8pre lack of outputs,what would that be?

then theres ofcourse a Firestudio,but thats bit too expencive

also if someone knows a cheap micpre with spdif then please let me know.

k.g.

I think the 8pre might be more Mac friendly. I think the people over at MOTU cater towards the Mac users, but I just ordered an 8pre and I have a PC so im not too worried about it.

The ADAT expansion is what made me decide to go with it over the firepod. For less than $200 used (or about $250 new or something) you can get a Behringer ADA8000. I know its behringer, but its suppsoed to be the best you can get for the money (well, the only :D) but it gives you 8 more mic pres and 8 outputs.

I dont need the outputs now, so it was nice to have that option to upgrade in the future AND get more mic pres

Sure, the pres might not be the best.. but for what im willing to pay in home recording, im sure ill be happy with them.

I think the 8pre allows a separate mix to be sent to the main out and the headphone out. So for now you could send the drummer a separate mix through the headphone out if you needed

nddhc said:
I think the 8pre might be more Mac friendly. I think the people over at MOTU cater towards the Mac users, but I just ordered an 8pre and I have a PC so im not too worried about it.

The MOTU is a much better piece of gear, and their Mac support kicks the ass of Presonus every day and twice on Sunday.

dgatwood said:
The MOTU is a much better piece of gear, and their Mac support kicks the ass of Presonus every day and twice on Sunday.

You think so? I dont, have you ever had a piece of Motu gear go bad and Motu sends you a replacement BEFORE you send the broken item back? I dont think so :rolleyes:

Firestudio ftw!!!

8pre vs. Firepod, I say 8pre, but the Firestudio's pres are better than the Firepod and 8pre and there's a lot of room for expansion. The 8pre is better than the FP in almost all regards though, except for the fact that the Firepod is 400 bucks and comes with plugins now.

I disagree - I think the Firestudio pres are exactly the same as the Firepod pres. The only difference is expandability. I think I read somewhere that since the Firestudio came out, the Firepod started using the same pres. But before that there was a difference.

Soundquality wise, since I have used a Firepod in the past, I think theyre just about equal. In this price range I dont think you can worry too much about the pres. Theyre super clean on the 8pre but they do get a little hissy and I at 95% to 100% of gain... but my DMP3 had way more hiss

nddhc said:
Theyre super clean on the 8pre but they do get a little hissy and I at 95% to 100% of gain...
when you're pushing that hard I wouldn't think the hiss was generated from the preamp... but rather a result the low input level

Back