Eventide Eclipse vs TC Helicon Voiceworks

WzRd

Hi,

I posted this last week on "other Equipment and Reviews" - not much response.

I Record live and in my Home Studio.

24 channel 8 bus board, Alesis HD24 Hard Drive recorder - a few outboards (M300, DBX compressor, Digidesign 128+ echo, etc.) - I mix down with a fireport to my PC and use SONOR 4 producer

I want to add a harmonizer - choices Eclipse ($1500 or so), a Eventide H3000x ($1000 or so Ebay) or a TC Helicon Voiceworks ($700 or so).

Yeah huge difference between Eclipse and Voiceworks - but what is going to be better for my recording?

I do everything from a 14 pc Jazz band - 4 pc Honky tonk/pedal steel - Mountain band (Guitar,Tuba and VOX), and my son's "Screamo" band.

Has anyone used the Eclipse and the Voiceworks? or can tell me what they have used either for?

It would really help me out

I do appreciate it

I just got a H3000 D/SE Harmonizer. I looked into the Eclipse and read a lot of reviews from owners with both H3000's and Eclipse's. Most rave about the new Eclipse features but say that it is very complicated. The H3000 series are known to have excellent quality and are fairly easy to operate. That's why I went with the D/SE (it has the most patches of any of the H3000's).

Well, I own an Eclipse. It is a little overbearing at first, but it just takes a little reading and actually programming top get the hang of it. It's an amazing box that has sopme real world class effects in it. It is also a true dual engine box which is nice as well. I like Harmonizers as well, but they really aren't any easier to navigate than the Eclipse once you get the basics down. I can't really comment on the TC. I owned a Voiceprism plus for a few weeks, but didn't see myself using it a whole lot so I traded it off.

WzRd said:
Hi,

I posted this last week on "other Equipment and Reviews" - not much response.

Part of the problem may be that once you own a harmonizer, you may not go out and buy another.I'm betting few people here if any have had both...

J.P.

I knew you guys would come through!

Hi All,

I relly appreciate your comments - In addition I find this website much more friendly than ProSound Web.

Had I posted there I probably would have received a tirade of abuse.

"you insignificant DOLT - don't you understand that the impeadance levels divided by the amount of dB offset (-10 dBV of course) and phase angle at the first gain structure would neccessitate purchasing the MOST expensive piece of gear - don't ever do that again! - In fact you should kill yourself"

Very cool here - Glad I joined

again Thanks

You friggin idiot. What were you doing over at Prosound in the first place....

Is that what you were referring to? :eek:

Welcome to HR, a lot of good people here.

sweetpeee said:
Part of the problem may be that once you own a harmonizer, you may not go out and buy another.I'm betting few people here if any have had both...

J.P.
Excellent point, once you figure out the one you bought (and tame it), who wants to go through that again?

NO Harmony over there - Ever

I have "lurked" over at Prosound web for quite a while - they are brutal.

Posted a couple times - did not get totally flamed but pretty close.

I have been doing this stuff a very long time - perhaps I don't know what they know - but then they should help not hinder folks learn the art.

Thanks

If you don't need to harmonize live via hardware, definetely check out the software melodyne at www.celemony.com (academic discount versions available). I had an eclipse, but since I no longer needed it for live performance, I sold it. With melodyne for harmonizing (and lots more, amazing program), and wizooverb for reverb, I'm quite happy.

Back