Equalizers

Actually I do - but I can't remember the last time I used it.... LA Audio EQx2 - 2 ch. 3-band parametric... between the console and digital editing via DAW, I've never needed to go outboard.

Now - if you're going to invest in a good one for a couple of grand - it could be beneficial, (for the specific sound you'd get from it), but really, there's no point in buying a cheap one.

There's plenty of good, inexpensive outboard EQ out there if you know where to look. DBX 242's can had used off ebay sometimes for less than $100. Symetrix and Rane also make perfectly usable stuff.

In that low price range your best bet is probably to find a used eq from 10-20 years ago. Hardware eq's that I own are: Klark Teknik DN410, Urei 546 (modded by Jim Williams), Orban 622B, DBX 905's, and Meek VC5. I have a place for hardware eq in how I work, so it is worth it to have them here. I also use a plugin eq or two. I find it pleasant to have the choice between using a digital eq and an analog eq, as they do sound different.

There are budget eq's you can buy new, but they are probably not worth it.

Nick The Man said:
i can't find any 242's anywhere

They pop up on ebay from time-to-time.

They're almost the same thing as the Orbans that Sonic Albert mentions. You can find quite a bit of those.

Rane and Symetrix are everyfreakinwhere.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Actually I do - but I can't remember the last time I used it.... LA Audio EQx2 - 2 ch. 3-band parametric... between the console and digital editing via DAW, I've never needed to go outboard.

Now - if you're going to invest in a good one for a couple of grand - it could be beneficial, (for the specific sound you'd get from it), but really, there's no point in buying a cheap one.

So Bruce, what eqs do you use on your DAW?

fraserhutch said:
So Bruce, what eqs do you use on your DAW?
The ones in Cubase - sometimes the s/w "in-line" (non-plugs) ones and sometimes the plug-ins... I also use the ones in Sound Forge.... Much of the time, my EQ use is generally high-pass/low-pass to bandwidth-limit a track to sonically fit the mix... other times I might add some high-shelf at 15K for "air".... unless it's a rescue operation on tracks that a client brings in, I find I don't often have to go overboard on EQ.

MISTERQCUE said:
......and if you do need an eq, go for a parametric rather than a graphic.

Although you wouldnt want a graphic for most recording tasks, sometimes graphics can be used for specific applications...I use my Altec 1650 as a glorified tone knob when recording bass direct...sounds fairly unique as compared to the parametric plugins i use.

Attachments

• altec_f.jpg
    altec_f.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 83
Back