Eq Recommendation

technoplayer

Recovering Gear-aholic
I posted this earlier in the Analog section where I usually lurk, but realize there may be some valuable insights from another group as well.....

I am soliciting recommendations from gear experts (junkies) for an equalizer. I have my own ideas but want a wider perspective.
Since my original failed I have had two others which both lasted only a short time.
I think this is one of the downsides of *vintage* equipment, and eq's are unrepairable as far as my skillset goes.
I am looking for one to use on the playback side...a fancy set of tone controls if you will.
I posted this earlier in the Analog section where I usually lurk, but realize their may be some other opinons here.

What I am looking for recommendations on:

> 2 channel (stereo) . I would consider one that adjusts BOTH channels with ONE slider.
> Octave eq... 10 or so band range. No third octaves...too many choices
> Two rack space (2U) unit; basically I do not want short throw (1u type) sliders
> Decent specs. I don't cre about published numbers, just something that sounds good and does not to badly degrade the signal chain.
Please no commentary like " well thats all an eq really does "
> no automatic eqs.
> I do not need a parametric or paragraphic or any of those para things.....

A built in spectrum display would be *nice* but absolutely not essential.

What you got that you are happy with.??

Ashly Audio GQX-3102, it's a 3 space Klark Tenik DN360, DBX2231, I Love the DBX3231L hard tpo find but I think it's worth it. it's also a 3 space.

I only have one hardware EQ, so I'll recommend that - A-Designs HMEQ2 - I think it fits your specs for the most part.

I like it, but I have to say I don't use it that much - I use mostly plugins. To be more precise, I haven't used it enough to be able to clearly distinguish it from what I can do with plugins. To be even more precise, I try not to use any eq, but when I do, it's usually on individual tracks for remedial or notch purposes, and with my workflow it's much easier to stay "in-the-box" for those types of things.

The HMEQ2 is "dual-mono" and more than once I have accidentally set the two sides differently. I'm an outboard newb -- I know you're looking for experts.

On the good side, it's easy to use, and it makes things sound better when I pay even a little attention to what I'm doing with it. It seems to be noiseless, which is great. I've only used it on my mix bus.

I posted this earlier in the Analog section where I usually lurk, but realize there may be some valuable insights from another group as well.....

I am soliciting recommendations from gear experts (junkies) for an equalizer. I have my own ideas but want a wider perspective.
Since my original failed I have had two others which both lasted only a short time.
I think this is one of the downsides of *vintage* equipment, and eq's are unrepairable as far as my skillset goes.
I am looking for one to use on the playback side...a fancy set of tone controls if you will.
I posted this earlier in the Analog section where I usually lurk, but realize their may be some other opinons here.

What I am looking for recommendations on:

> 2 channel (stereo) . I would consider one that adjusts BOTH channels with ONE slider.
> Octave eq... 10 or so band range. No third octaves...too many choices
> Two rack space (2U) unit; basically I do not want short throw (1u type) sliders
> Decent specs. I don't cre about published numbers, just something that sounds good and does not to badly degrade the signal chain.
Please no commentary like " well thats all an eq really does "
> no automatic eqs.
> I do not need a parametric or paragraphic or any of those para things.....

A built in spectrum display would be *nice* but absolutely not essential.

What you got that you are happy with.??

I bought the Art HQ-231 with FDC. I love it. It was $380.00 Canadian. Obviously by the name you can tell that it's a 2 channel EQ with 31 bands per channel. I love the fact they light up. Had one small issue with channel 2's meter not working on the demo model I purchased originally, but a new one is on order for me!! It is a 2 Rack space EQ.
I know Klark Teknic and Ashley make way high end stuff that kicks ass, frankly it was just out of my budget for a project studio.

Last edited:
You're going to find that most of the good GEQs are 31 band...despite the choices! Honest, you CAN get used to them!

However, I do recall once working with an old Klark Teknik (just Googled...it was a DN22) which sounded very nice. You might watch for one of those on the second hand market.

I also have one eq for that job and its the Hammer by A designs . Im very happy with the tone of this unit I got it about 6 months ago.

Back