EQ and Compression - pre recording

moogsters

i have a question concerning EQ and Compression. I have been recording with my cascade fathead and it is a bit dark for my taste, even with post-eqing.

my question is based on my logic, if i can get a good sound with a 31 band EQ in the pre phase and line that in to record i'd have a better sound to work with and cut and add with postEQ afterwards.

then as a side note are there any good combo rack stuff out there that also include compression? i can't find it if there is. I am thinking of getting the Behringer dual 31 band eq rack, probably the basic not the pro.

any thoughts are appriciated.

Only problem is if you don't like it later you have to do it again. The less you have to mess with stuff, the better. Most prefer a parametric.

I'm sure you could find subtle differences eq'ing before or after, but if it's that far off, sounds like the wrong mic -or at least in the wrong position.

+1 on the idea of not using a half dozen' filters where one or two will do. (Parametric, shelving or high pass vs the '31 band.)

Parametrics are the way to go.

That behringer graphic is meant for live sound. It's noisy. I would only use it on stage monitors, even then only as a last resort.

thanks for the replies. I think I'll look into parameteric eqs instead. i like the depth and feel i am getting from the mic, it's just missing a bit on the high end... a more expensive large condensor might end up being the actual purchase after looking at all the options...

Back