Empirical Labs Distressor EL-8

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this compressor? I've read nothing but great reviews and my only question is... is it worth the extra few hundred bucks for the 'british mod' version?

Thanks.

It's as good as they all say, I love them, I use them all the time. To me the british mod is worth it, it's a cool old school trick.

Blue Groove said:
It's as good as they all say, I love them, I use them all the time. To me the british mod is worth it, it's a cool old school trick.

Oh ok.. thanks for the feedback. Some guy is offering me one for under a grand but without the british mod. Is this something I would want to use on vocals? Because that's basically all I'll be using it for. Well that and for overall limiting on a track.

Blue Groove said:
Buy it and run, or give me his info... ;)
+1 on that... if you want the British mod you can just stop brushing your teeth (if you're just using it on vocals)

MOFO Pro said:
+1 on that... if you want the British mod you can just stop brushing your teeth (if you're just using it on vocals)

lmao.. you guys are hilarious. thanks for the advice. :D

Last edited:
Great comp on bass and drums without a doubt. The brit mod gives it the "squash" compression.

phaqu said:
Great comp on bass and drums without a doubt. The brit mod gives it the "squash" compression.

Yeah I figured it was more of a feature to be used on instruments (which I don't record). So for my purposes this should be great.

Back