Electric Guitar DI Amp Sim Boxes

Bob's Mods

I know this has been covered before....what hasn't been hashed out a zillion times?

I was wondering what everybody likes for an electric guitar DI amp sim box. Its not always practicle to set up mics and record at home quickly and easily. time is short and we're all working so much these days. For convenience a good DI amp sim is just what the doctor ordered. I've got one of the original V-Stacks. It does a decent clean but also a rippin lead and hard edge rythum when needed.

What is everyone else using and why do you like it?

How do you think your DI amp sim box compares to a good amp and good mic setup for those that have done it both ways?

Bob :confused:

I`ve used the D.I option through Guitar Rig on occasions.

For me a miced up amp allways wins, I`d rather mees around with the micing of a amp for 1 hour than taking the short cut with D.I.

It just sounds so much better.

I`ve heard D.I recordings that sounds great, but it never has sounded great for my recordings.

I like the Rocktron Utopia quite a bit.
I'm an amp hound with a nice collection of tube amps but , as you mentioned, sometimes it's so much easier to go direct. Hell, I've been using the Rocktron for a lot of my gigs lately, going direct into the PA.
Doesn't sound as good as an amp but it comes fairly close and, often, that's good enough.

Back