Edirol FA-66 issues

tsswitch

Hey guys, I have an Edirol FA-66.

I'm trying to record drums right now with my band. We've got a two mic set up, and though it works reasonably well, it would be a big improvement to have 3 mics (one kick, and two overhead).

Problem is I can't figure out a way to get 3 mics to input at once. Surely there's a way!

I've got the two overheads going into the two xlr jacks. But I need a way to get the kick in on the action. I tried an xlr to rca adapter and plugged it into a mono rca input. Well, that seemed logical to me but it's not working.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Ahh the good old Edirol FA-66, a great unit. Anyway when i used to record with mine i could get 4 seperate tracks recorded at once. What i did was, use the 2 on the front obviously. With the 2 rca's in the back i could take the record out on my mixer and plug them into that. To get 2 tracks out of that i would pan one track 100% left and the 2nd track 100% right on the mixer. Then when i opened adobe audition it would say input 3 (left and right=2 tracks plus the 2 on the front). Hopefully that helps!
Mike

I tried an xlr to rca adapter and plugged it into a mono rca input. Well, that seemed logical to me but it's not working.
You're going to positively need a preamp for sure if the mike is a condensor, but only definetly for sure if it's dynamic...

Phantom Power ...
RCA is line level not instrument or mic

Ahh the good old Edirol FA-66, a great unit. Anyway when i used to record with mine i could get 4 seperate tracks recorded at once. What i did was, use the 2 on the front obviously. With the 2 rca's in the back i could take the record out on my mixer and plug them into that. To get 2 tracks out of that i would pan one track 100% left and the 2nd track 100% right on the mixer. Then when i opened adobe audition it would say input 3 (left and right=2 tracks plus the 2 on the front). Hopefully that helps!
Mike

I am intrigued, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "take the record out on my mixer". Are you talking about software or a physical mixer with more inputs?
All I use is the FA-66 and Ableton Live.
Thanks for the help, man (and good taste in the name).

Ops sry for not being more clear on that. For those extra 2 tracks i used a "real" mixer. Nothing fancy just an Yamaha mg12. On the back it has a rca "recording out" for left and right. Just connected that to the FA-66 and panned it on the "real" mixer and had 2 extra tracks.

Aw well, I'm not really in the market for new equipment at this point. When I read the FA-66 had 6 inputs I assumed I could use most if not all of them, but come to find out I can only use two. Where are the 1/4" inputs?
I must be able to daisy chain my way to compatibility...

Edit: After all, XLR to RCA adapters do exist... But for what purpose, if not for this?

Last edited:
After all, XLR to RCA adapters do exist... But for what purpose, if not for this?

You can connect a microphone to a line level input with whatever adapter you like but without a preamp in the chain you will not be able to hear anything.

This --- LINK --- would be the minimum you will need to do what you're trying to accomplish.

Well that's a pretty reasonable price.

So basically what happens is I can use all the inputs on this mixer (I only see two xlr inputs?), then run it into my FA-66, where I can still use the two xlr inputs on there... Effectively giving me four simultaneous mic inputs (sweet).

Can anyone confirm this, before I do something drastic?

I don't know what the purpose of the mixer is beyond that, but maybe I can make use of it as I learn more.

Thanks for your input scientist, trying to figure this stuff out can get overwhelming.

Back