dsp equalizers

garf

Let me preface this by stating that I have never used equalizers. In a previoius thread Roblows commented: A little high shelving from a nice EQ on a good ribbon will often give a nice, smooth airy-ness that can otherwise be tough to get. This goes along with other comments I have read on ribbons, which are more prone to need eq than other mics.

I was considering a DSP equalizer that was recommended in the thread(Behringer DSP8024) and was wondering what users experiences with this or other digital units were. I understand there is some bias against digital vs analog, although I am not clear exactly what the effect would be.

I currently have a pretty reasonable signal chain. Yesterday I was playing around with going back and forth between my Mackie VLZ pro, and Grace Design preamps. There is a definite difference between these (the Grace is clearly smoother to my ear), but the level of difference is small compared to the effect of microphone positioning.

Anyway, any feedback you can offer would be of interest as to go the analog route looks to cost roughly $700, whereas the Behringer could be tried for roughly a quarter of that.

i stay away from behringer equipment, i used too much of it that just simply broke down! and i didn't say anything about the sound yet!
i got myself a dirt cheap fully parametric eq from symetrix,
the SX201 , for like $30 , and WOW it gives you total control over the sound you want to tweak and believe me, even this cheap thingy sounds so much more solid than any behringer stuff i've ever used...
the trick is to get two of them or to look at stereo eq's,
i might sound like a prick, but i'd suggest to go for any brand but behringer... and ehm, a digital eq? what about clipping, i think you can push analog gear much harder than digital...
oh and, that DSP8024 is a Graphic eq? thats what i use to take the feedback out of my onstage monitors when i do a live PA,
in my homestudio i don't ever use graphic eq's, only parametric

my 2 cents

Back