Drum Compression

Timmy

Im looking for a good idea on compression for a kick drum. Im using a Samson S Com 4. It uses AEG, so it doesent have any attack or release knobs. So I guess im curious as to what controls the lowest level of sound the compresser will make and what controls the highest?

And then wheres generaly a good place to put them?

Kind of depends. What you're trying to do to the kick sound? Peak/leveling, tone change?
With auto-comps you might just get what they set and that's it.

"So I guess im curious as to what controls the lowest level of sound the compresser will make and what controls the highest?"

Threshold. As you lower it, the loudest parts get closer to the softest parts. Is that what you meant?
wayne

Im trying to level the sound, so that it never surpasses x amount of db and never lowers below y amount of db.

So if I wanted to make the sound of the kick the same exact volume everytime(not that I would), I would lower the threshold and increase the output gain?

Yes. The limiting brings down the tops, make-up brings =everything= up.
A few of the limitations you run into though are;
If the playing is not fairly consistent to begin with, you can only go so far before...
You find the soft hits are now surounded by all the other noises around, and -just as big a problem- the hard hits have a completly different sound than the soft ones. One goes click-smack, one just goes phff'... ie; you still get dodo.:D
Wayne

Ok, Ive been applying things and trying things as we go along here and I think I have a good handle on it now. Thanks for your help!

(in a half hour I was able to get the answers I need from a BBS, impressive!)

Ok, Ive been applying things and trying things as we go along here and I think I have a good handle on it now. Thanks for your help!

(in a half hour I was able to get the answers I need from a BBS, impressive!)

Back