Does this exist? a multiple line input box that distributes into multiple zones?

Idiomatic

Let me clarify, I'm looking for some type of multiple line input distribution box (a vague term that I made up) that, for example, accepts 4 line inputs, and distributes those 4 signals into maybe 5 zones?

I guess it could be described as a 4 input x 20 output (those 20 outs are divided into 5 zones of 4) distribution box. The rear panel would have 4 TRS inputs, and 20 TRS outputs. Or, even if it was like 3 inputs x 12 ouputs (4 zones). Or like 3 inputs x 9 ouputs (3 zones). I know those are awkward i/o numbers that you don't really see, but I'm just saying those are my minimal needs.

I've heard such a box described by colleagues as a "break-out box", or "distribution box", but may or may not be the correct terms for what I'm looking for. Can anyone help me out?

Maybe it would help if I described what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to take 4 line outs from my interface and go into said "break-out box" or whatever it is, and then take the 4 outs from each of the 5 zones and go into five 4-channel line mixers (those cheapie behringer ones), and then output those to 4 cheapie behringer headphone amps. It would basically be like a ghetto Furman HR-6 headphone distribution system, without the Cat-5 cable. Anyways, if you guys could help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

Yeah, piece of cake. You need a Furman HR-6 Headphone distribution system. :laughings:

Actually, what you want to do is easier said than done. Splitting a signal 5 ways really requires amplification beyond what is capable in a patchbay or mult as you are describing.

In general, a breakout box is like a big extension cord coming off the mixer with jacks for mic and line inputs and monitor outputs at the stage end of things. The other end is the individual channel inputs and monitor output plugs to go to mixer jack I/O.

Mackie - HMX-56

The Mackie might do it, but if you are trying to send the headphone signal a long distance--- say more than 50 feet--- you may run into problems of signal loss and noise.

Back