Does Dynamic Range really mean anything?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
In the budget range of Converters ($800-$1200) how can there be such certainty that brand X are better than Y? I read so many recommendations, but for the most part, they come from people who have only experience w/ maybe 2 . (Sblaster and a 1010) Most people here are working on shoestring budgets... trying to get more for less. So how do people know that Lynx Two will get better results than RME? & both of these will be better than a 1010? We can't exactly go to GC and Record/mix/master on several units and then "let our ears be the guide". I'm guilty too... I've told friends to get RME or Lynx w/ out ever hearing one... based on what I've read here and else where.

Dynamic Range?
I've read this is the spec to gauge the quality of the converter. & S/N. If this is true... then a Aardvark & a 1010 should be right up there w/ a RME.?. But we say this is not true.

1010- AD109 DA108
Aardvark- AD100 DA110
RME Multface- AD105 DA112
Tascam FW-1884- AD104 DA106
Lynx 2- ADDA 117

What I'm getting at... I have a Aark 24/96 and am looking to expand. Converters are my main concern. RME Muliface had been my 1st choice. The Lynx Two-C just doesn't seem as expandable or have the options. I want 8 ins w/ the option to have 8 more via ADAT Light pipe or AES/EBU (still not exactly sure what that is).

The new Tascam FW-1884 http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--TASFW1884 is the unit on top of my list now but I can't find much info on the Converters except they are something like Frontier Tango & the specs... ad104 da106. The Pres are supposed to be pretty decent... I wonder if they could compete w/ the RNP or are they more like a DMP3? I also like the interface controller.

The Tascam and RME both have about the same features but the T- has 4 MIDI i/o, 8 Pres, and a Controller. If the Converters are comparable thats what I'd get. Or the RME w/ some Pres (Sytek, JLM, RNP, Sebatron, TLA 5001, OSA) ect. I also plan on getting a Joe Meek for 1 channel of different color (VC1Q, VC6Q).

I know the RME is a no brainer... great track record.
If the FW-1884 compares sonically I'd like to give it a shot.

What do you think? Any Suggestions?
Thanks,
B.

the difference between the delta specs and rme and lynxtwo specs are the delta specs aren't real..meaning this isn't in a realword situation...when i had my delta 66 the dynamic range was really around -85 to -80 while they boasted its under -100...now i have a lynxtwo..and yes the specs do match real world use...so don't let the specs be your guide let your ears and if thats not possible ask people whose ears you trust. Big corporations have slick marketing gurus that do wonders with numbers look at mackie!

search the mic forum for a post by rev e..title being "I just got a lynxtwo" there was a comparison of the 66 and the lynx...and if you can't hear the difference i think you need a new line of work...YMMV

Dynamic range is a function of how many bits the converters use to express the result of the analog to digital conversion (16, 24, etc). I think of it as granularity, it's the sonic equivilant of using a ruler marked with 1/32" increments versus using one marked with 1/8" increments. Another way of explaining dynamic range is to say that it represents the difference between the quietest and loudest sound a converter can measure.

Can you hear the difference between a 16 bit converter and 24 bit converter? Absolutely.

Everything else being equal, you would think that two competing machines - both using 24 bit conversion - were equal. But things are never equal.

If one machine has a higher noise floor, it's theoretical dynamic range is meanigless.

If one machine has a skewed eq or phase response, it may not reproduce a signal as accurately as another, or sound as 'musical', whatever that means. How well the anti-alias filter is designed, and how stable the sample and hold circuitry is designed, both affect the quality of the digital rendering.

If one machine uses a different algorithm to decide how to set the Lowest Significant Bits (LSBs) of the digital word when the input signal level flutters around zero, this also makes a difference.

So how do you decide? Use your ears when you can, and when you can't, read a wide cross section of opinions from people who have something intelligent to say, then balance your needs against your pocket book.

And never forget that some of the greatest records of all times were made on equipment that by today's standards would be considered garbage.

Back