DOD 866 Series II compressor

lilman42459

I bought 1 of these for 50 bucks just to last me until I can afford something else. Are these compressors decent. I have getting a lot of hissing.

Also should I place my pre amp (audio buddy) before or after the compressor.

The recorder I use is a Fostex VF 160.

Where could the hiss be coming from?

Aren't compressor supposed to block this out?

Any help would be great

Thanks

lil

A compressor will compress the entire signal, noise and all. The 866 is a terrible compressor for studio work IMHO.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

this is an old thread, 3 years old, but I had to put in my 2 cents worth here. The 866 sounds incredible but has the absolute worst markings on it's controls in the history of pro audio. IF you know what you're doing (if you're an experienced engineer who's used good compressors a lot in the past) then you will be able to get some amazing sounds from the dod 866 II. But you have to use your ears. The controls have terrible markings (actually wrong in the case of the one of the controls) and they stupidly used potentiometers that don't give you anything like a linear or exponentially predictable control of the values. So you just have to experiment by using your ears and know what it is you're trying to do and what each control will do to the sound. If you know all of that then you can get sound quality from the 866 that rivals the best dbx gear there is worth 10 times the price!! But if you don't know what you're doing, the 866 is a bad choice to learn on.

I use it and it's one of my favorite sleeper pieces of gear. Now if I was somebody important that might actually make it worth something now LoL, but I'm nobody that matters, just a producer/engineer/session musician in Canada. But it's a hell of a nice unit circuit-wise, terrible interface-wise.

They are incredibly underpriced due to the complexity and unintuitiveness in using one, but they really do sound amazing IF you set them up well.

Cheers,
Don

I know i'm digging up an old thread (again), but I need some help.

I bought one of these with two broken knobs and a missing pot on eBay for 5 bucks. Dad bought three replacement pots and fixed it for me. Now, what I'm trying to do is get some decent recordings of our church services. I don't have the budget for boundary mics or any of the usual answers for open room miking, and my pastor doesn't see the need to use a microphone with as small of a congregation as we presently have.

My current setup is a Marshall MXL DRK on the podium, with a Behringer B-2 about midway back and to the right side as a room fill, as he never stays at the podium. The two mics feed to a Peavey PV6 for phantom power. The line-out from the mixer goes to the compressor, and out from there to the line-in on our recording computer.

I'd like to be able to set the noise gate where ambient room noise (floor level) doesn't pass through. I'd like to be able to run things hot enough so that even when he speaks in a low voice and he's off-mike that you can still hear it without straining too much.

I've only used it for a couple of services so far, but I've been less than pleased with the results. It sounds decent, but things are clipping off too fast when they drop below the noise floor. I've never set one of these up before and I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing.

I seriously think that Wednesday night, I'll spend the service in the booth tweaking things. The only problem I face is that the mixer is on stage and the computer is in the sound booth, so I can't adjust microphone levels during the service; the only thing I can adjust is compressor settings in the back.

Thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, or tomatoes are appreciated (if you send tomatoes, send some ranch to dip 'em in...)

josh

honestly? I'd recommend (sorry to say this) that you buy true downward expanders rather than live with the gates in the DOD. the DOD is a compressor first, gate second.

firstly you need to keep the compressor out of the circuit as much as possible for your use (you just want to gate the noise, right?). so keep that threshold cranked up all the way and compression ratio down all the way.

then you can safely play with the gate, but I don't own those units any more (no particular reason, I get bored sometimes and change gear, but I also gradually upgrade my gear for better sonics, bigger name, less finicky setup. in this case both of the latter 2 were my reasons for upgrading from the DOD).

so I can't recommend settings other than experimenting. but if it's cutting out too soon, and you have the compressor disabled pretty much by doing what I suggested, then you should be able to turn the gate's trigger level DOWN (I forget name of the knob, might be threshold, but not to be confused with the compressor's threshold), until there is perfect noise cancelling when there is no noise in the room even when you walk around. then talk and it should open and you can hear the results. if there is a release knob on that gate then turn it up pretty high (long release time) so you don't get the gate cutting out the sound too soon. you want it to be as transparent as possible.

by the way, another (and maybe best) way to fix your floor noise issue is with high pass filters on the mics. turn them on if they have them. that will reduce low frequency pickup by the mics such as rumble in the floor. if you don't have that then you can do HPF stuff with a plugin in your daw later when mixing this (if you work that way). it will help a lot. but if it's an available option in the mics themselves, even just one of the mics, then it will help prevent the DOD's gate from opening prematurely and letting through some of that "mucky muck".

I'm not really proof reading so I hope I didn't say anything backwards here, rushing. and sorry I don't have time to look at a pic of the dod on google to see what controls it really has for the gate!

PS a downward expander is a much better gate than a simple single knob gate. look into them, some behringer compressors have them I think (might be wrong) and they are just better in every way than a basic gate, although back in the day I know the dod did a great job of gating for me when I needed it. I didn't use it for that though, I gated (and compressed) drums with it most of the time, very different.

PPS those rare times when I still gate something I use pretty high end elaborate downward expanding gates with full compressor type controls etc. harder to use for a beginner, easier to use for me because I know what I'm looking for specifically and how to use these devices. but for cheap sometimes a microgate by alesis is also quite useful, and there are others out there if it's a must have. I think you really need HPF on the mics though and probably some better shock mounts on the mics. expensive but true if your mics have neither currently. also better mic stands can help. all of that costs $$$ though!

cheers
Don

If he really wants to stroll... buy him a wireless lavalier mic... this would solve this issue better then any other hardware solution... it's really difficult to gate background noise when the speaker walks away from the mic and essencially becomes background noise... the larger the delta between source and background... the smoother the gating... I think Don's compander solution would work for gating but I think you want the compressor to bring up the speaker to the same level away from the podium as standing at it... I don't think you'll find any solution that will result in a recording you're happy with without keeping a mic close to him..

yea totally, I have to admit I didn't really grasp his issue. I grabbed hold of "gate question" and missed the whole setup issue.

you're right Mofo. the gating/hpf will help, but you really need to use a microphone properly for live work. anyway, with the comp in the circuit (not disabled as I suggested) you can sort of get away with it, but you'll have issues for sure no matter what.

That situation just isn't conducive to micing unless you use a wireless clipon mic or at least a wireless handheld, either = $$$.

anyway, check the mics for filter switches, disregard my point about turning off the compressor section (I think you DO need the compressors in the circuit now that I understand the situation) but do pay attention to the rest of my previous post and without spending a dime you may get fewer issues. you'll never get it right unless you use mofo's suggestion though.

cheers
Don

Back