Do I still need to buy a pre amp?

EizingerIsGod

I just purchased a firepod yesterday for multitracking drums mainly. Now I know there are 8 pres built in, but should I still consider investing in a pre amp for vocals? (I use a Berhinger Eurodesk 3282A as well which has pres in it)

I was considering getting the ART Pro Channel Tube Mic Preamp because I hear that is a good quality pre amp for a reasonably low price (don't have much to spend).

My band isn't going to start tracking drums for our cd until next week because we have alot of gigs going on right now so I haven't had the time I would have liked to get a good feel the firepod so anyone whos worked with them before...how do vocals sound?

Edit: I was also told to look into the Focusrite TrakMaster Pro Channel Strip. If I do need to get a pre amp...which would be better?

Last edited:
A cheap pre is a cheap pre. IMHO, you are wasting money if you buy more cheap preamps. The next step up from the firepod starts at $500 per channel. Just use the pres you have until you are ready to commit to the price of a real preamp.-Richie

I actually like the pre's in the Firepod. They are quiet and have decent headroom - what I put into them is what I hear out of them (transparent). I have used them for vox, and have been pleased with the results. If you don't have a lot of spare cash, don't invest a little on a pre-amp just track though the Firepod. As Richard stated, plan on at least $500 + for a nice one.

Thanks alot guys for the advice. We dont have the cash to spend right now for anything else really since we just spent quite a bit on mics, cables, and soundproofing.

EizingerIsGod said:
Thanks for the advice...so the pres in the firepod will do the same generally as the pres I listed above for vocals?

Hell, I hear the firepod pres are class A, and are pretty highly thought of. I doubt seriously that you will be better with any Art preamp. The Behringers aren't even close. Your Firepod pres are just fine and WILL NOT be the source of any unhappy recordings. I have heard some fantastic recordings from the Firepod, and no way would you be spending your money well in buying an Art preamp hoping to get better sound than the Firepod. Your Firepod is just fine for pres until you are ready to drop 600-800 on a couple channels in the future. Get yourself a good compressor like the RNC, or a decent effects unit like the TC M300. Even better, spend the money on room treatment if you want to really improve your recordings. Take that Firepod into a good pro studio room, and you can easliy do great recordings with it. Those pres will not be your weak link.

Jeff

i generally agree with all the posts - the pre in the art will not likely beat the pres you already have - BUT the art pro channel does have the benifit of a built-in compressor and EQ. Although the compressor isn't class A it isn't that bad and you will hear a noticable improvement over going directly into the firepod. the post above suggested buying an rnc compressor, these aren't bad either but the art has a preamp AND an eq AND a preamp to boot and probably for not much more money than the rnc. I would say if you can afford it buy the Art, it will help quite a bit in controlling the sound before it hits the digital domain.

cheers
jason

While you're at it, look into the JoeMeek strips. Good for the price, you can get a oneQ for $500 including tax, I'm not sure about the others, but that's the most expensive one.

Back