Do I need a great compressor to get a pro sound?

while i have a computer with a preamp ran through usb in the back and all my
music comes out of the back of the preamps output channel (which come out the studio speakers) so when i recored it effects the whole channel instead of just my voice how can i single out my voice usein the preamp hook directly up to the compresser
can somone please help im tryin to optimize my sound
What equipment are you using and how is it connected?

Is it necessary to have a pro compressor/leveling amplifier/limiter to acheive a "Pro" sound?
When I look at the equipment lists in professional studios, they always have really high end compressors in their racks.........

even the Beatles at Abby Road for the life of their recorded output relied on the EMI RS124 Altec compressor. It was used on every guitar track, Pauls bass, and all the tape machine reduction mixes and vocals.

WHY? I don't understand what is so important about a compressor. :confused:

In the past, you needed comprressors to record to tape. The limited headroom of tape needed a workaround. Digital has plenty of headroom and compression is not necessary anymore except to make tracks fit into busy mixes or effect.

In the past, you needed comprressors to record to tape. The limited headroom of tape needed a workaround. Digital has plenty of headroom and compression is not necessary anymore except to make tracks fit into busy mixes or effect.

:confused:

Unless I'm mixing my meds again, that's slightly backwards. Tape will natural compress slightly excessive signals, and sure; past that some tracks bleed to adjacent tracks giving you some of that distortion a few people claim is 'warm'. Digital? A brick wall. Unlike digital, analog tape does not have a flat frequency response. Luddites prefer low-frequency saturation on narrow-format analog tape. But compression started in radio as the engineers wanted their station signal to 'pop out' at you and still be within FCC guidlines of 100% modulation depth. You prevent overmodulation, and reduce the dynamic range, which allows for increased transmitted power. Recording? Compressors were a God-send for analog tape systems so you have an increased average level; above the noise floor and slightly below the saturation point. With digital it's back to making tracks 'pop out' at you.......
Hmmm. Skip it. I might be totally wrong, so I'd best bow out gracefully now.

:confused:

Unless I'm mixing my meds again, that's slightly backwards.
There's elements of truth in both your posts... in fact the noise reduction systems of the day (DBX and Dolby) actually compressed the audio when encoding and then expanded while decoding to reduce the dynamic range to try and eliminate tape hiss from the quieter passages but still maintain a reasonable dynamic range... a compromise between noise and dynamics...

I don't use a hardware compressor on vocals but have been playing around for the last few days with PSP Old Timer software compressor on an input bus which has the same effect
It has a very nice analogesque coloration too it if you are looking for that on a vocal for a very affordable price compared to even cheap ass hardware, but honestly I don't really need it for peak control since I'm usually peaking at -10dbfs or lower on the way in without any compression applied it's all about added flavour

Last edited:

You're actually kind of wrong here - tape sounds, generally, good when it is "hit hard." A/D converters without a "soft-limit" feature (like Apogee or Lavree have) sound really bad - even a sound that Ianis Xenakis wouldn't like - when "hit too hard.." But you're right that with 24 bit, capturing to 0 dB is not really necessary.

Compressors, especially in a digital environment, are used - either as you said, for effect ("coloration" - so to speak), or to make things loud as hell (or both). I guess if that's what you mean by "effect" then, yeah, but ultra-fast digital compression (limiting, that is) ala Waves L1/L2/L3 makes perceptual increases in loudness possible without obvious artifacts (for the average listener). So, if I put, for example, Ozone 4's limiter across a mix buss, depending on how it's set, the mix will simply sound -louder- than without it (again, to the non-pro mixing/mastering engineer).

To the original poster - no, you don't need super expensive high end compressors to make a pro recording, although, in the hands of somebody that knows what to do with them - to bring out their best aspects in their best allotment, they certainly won't hurt..

Back