DMP3 DI on acoustic guitar?

dmc777

Hi just wondering what you're guys experience are using the DMP3 as a DI for acoustic guitar. I just ordered one and have been debating on getting a di or not. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

I've never used one for acoustic guitar application other than recording with a mic, but mine has gobs and gobs of gain, so it should work pretty well. Why not hold off on a separate DI until you give this a try? No reason it shouldn't work.

actually, it may have to much gain coming from a battry operated acu
people have found this to be a problem when useing it as a di on elect bass
(plugging it directly in to the 1/4 inputs on the back, not useing a DI)
simply can't be turned down enough.

though i guess your git probably has a volume.
but you may need a di box any way :o

Recently i recorded an acoustic guitar, and best results came from mixing the signal of the guitar (direct to my firepod), and the room mic... Just experiment...

JuliánFernández said:
Recently i recorded an acoustic guitar, and best results came from mixing the signal of the guitar (direct to my firepod), and the room mic... Just experiment...
Try a small diaphram condensor about 6 inches away from the 12th fret steered up the length of the neck if you're looking for a little more clarity

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
My experience of DI acoustic guitar with the DMP3 is wholly negative, not because of the DMP3 though.

To me, DI acoustic guitar tends to sound pretty horrible regardless of the quality of the DI.

Agreed.

However, I recently ran my Takamine acoustic through the DMP-3's DI input, and it worked just find. Sounded just as good as running my acoustic through any other DI box (well, any I've tried), but as the above poster says - acoustic DI sounds pretty bad by tself, unless you've got a great guit preamp built in... a friend's Taylor pre sounds pretty damn good plugged in direct, but my Takamine does not sound so good.

I find the best way to record is a combination of the acoustic run in direct, and a live mic. Definitely useful to record both, but you will most likely find that the DMP-3 DI will do, and that a mic will become necessary, as getting another DI won't improve your sound.

So, don't bother buying a different DI - maybe save up for a good condenser and don't waste the money. just the ole two cents.

And some people still honestly prefer the sonic character of a phonograph record over a CD... to each his own... what ever sound you're looking for

MOFO Pro said:
And some people still honestly prefer the sonic character of a phonograph record over a CD... to each his own... what ever sound you're looking for
I agree, if it's a horrible guitar sound you're after then I'd recommend DI! :D

Just kidding, but seriously, do you know of any well known recordings on which acoustic guitar is prominent and recorded DI? Can anyone post clips to acoustic guitar tracks they've recorded DI and which they think sound good?

I'm not being facetious, if people get a good sound that way then good for them, I'd be genuinely interested to hear it.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just talking about my own (limited) experiences.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
I agree, if it's a horrible guitar sound you're after then I'd recommend DI! :D

Just kidding, but seriously, do you know of any well known recordings on which acoustic guitar is prominent and recorded DI? Can anyone post clips to acoustic guitar tracks they've recorded DI and which they think sound good?

I'm not being facetious, if people get a good sound that way then good for them, I'd be genuinely interested to hear it.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just talking about my own (limited) experiences.

I've heard some new age guitarists who got a decent tone going direct but it was still fakey sounding.

If you want to use a DI, use the DMP3, save your money for something else.

If you want a good acoustic sound, mic it up and use the DMP3 as a mic pre instead. ;)

Back